NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What were they?

Azure

At about 9 to 10pm (an hour or so ago) I was casually observing a patch of sky just under Leo when I saw a fast moving dot of light cross my FOV. I was using a 20mm eyepiece in my 130EQ and the dot crossed it in just over a couple of seconds. Slightly startled by this, I managed followed the dot of light for a few seconds before looking up to see if I could see it with my naked eye. But I couldn't see anything moving. When I looked back into the eyepiece I couldn't find it again.

About 10 minutes later I was looking in a different location when I saw a dot again, but this time I lost it before I could track it.

The dots of light were quite small and not very bright, and moved very quickly. I couldn't see a trail behind them or any fluctuations in their light, but I didn't get to see them for very long. Were they satellites or something?

- AZ

That YouTube link is incredible. All those satellites look like a thousand flies buzzing around a little ball of poo.

If I'm observing visually with my astro group, I often see satellites flying through the field of view. I don't think it's the same one that others are seeing at the same time (unless they're looking at the same object in the sky? M42 anyone?). I wonder how wide a path the reflected light cuts across the ground. A few miles perhaps?

There are more satellites than you have had hot dinners, my highlight this week while viewing M51, one Sat went one way, another went the other way and a meteor went down the middle all in the FOV at the same time...awesome...;)

Wow, I honestly never knew there were that many! Thanks for the vid link ;)

I've only seen one meteor, and it scared the jeebies out of me! I just love how the night sky always has a surprise up it's sleeve! You never really know what you'll see :)

- AZ

There are more satellites than you have had hot dinners, my highlight this week while viewing M51, one Sat went one way, another went the other way and a meteor went down the middle all in the FOV at the same time...awesome...:)

I bet that made you twitch ;)

There are more satellites than you have had hot dinners, my highlight this week while viewing M51, one Sat went one way, another went the other way and a meteor went down the middle all in the FOV at the same time...awesome...;)
Oh how awesome!!

I find myself looking more and more for sats these days, I love seeing them.

Archived