Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

250px Flex-tube goto Dob

I really fancy one of these, but am a little scared at the thought of unpacking it and not being able to move it about.

Can anyone show me a photo of one with a medium sized human next to it for scaling purposes?

I've seen the 12 incher in a shop, and it was a touch daunting.

cheers

M

Murgen - here you go, first pic on page 9

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/128173-look-size-thing-9.html#post2210096

Now I am 5'8", 11st 4, and medium build I guess. The scope fully assembled, on the base and ready to observe is 32kgs. I actually stood on my scales holding the scope to check :(, much to the wife's amusement!

I can move it out to the garden in one piece without too much difficulty, but I wouldn't try and carry it any distance. I find the bulk is more of an issue than the weight though.

It's a brilliant investment, I have had some great views with it since I got the scope last October. And when it's not in use it sits in the corner of the room doing a passable impression of R2D2 :(

Thanks all.

Of course once you have set you stall out for 10", it is hard to think about settling for an 8" as either a dob or a newt (although I'm sure these would still be a fine scopes).

Is aperture sickness such a bad thing?

But being able to manhandle your instrument to its intended location is an important consideration when you're not as active as you once were (cue violin music).

Dobby - is that base weight the goto version or would there be another couple of kilos of motors/gears and stuff?

And has it given you any back problems carting it up and down the garden?

Tinker - you have the 250P DS on an NEQ6, how easy are these to carry about?

I've heard the NEQ6 is so heavy it's recommended for a permanent obsy.

I take it you would not recommend the 250P DS on an HEQ5 Pro?

thanks

M

Murgen - here you go, first pic on page 9

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/128173-look-size-thing-9.html#post2210096

Now I am 5'8", 11st 4, and medium build I guess. The scope fully assembled, on the base and ready to observe is 32kgs. I actually stood on my scales holding the scope to check :(, much to the wife's amusement!

I can move it out to the garden in one piece without too much difficulty, but I wouldn't try and carry it any distance. I find the bulk is more of an issue than the weight though.

It's a brilliant investment, I have had some great views with it since I got the scope last October. And when it's not in use it sits in the corner of the room doing a passable impression of R2D2 :(

Thanks Chris, that's just the piccy i needed to see.

It does look much more approachable than the 12 incher I saw in a shop.

Do they sell bluetack at FLO?

M

Murgen - if you found the complete package too difiicult to move t is very simple to separate the tube and base and would add only a few minutes to the set up time.

FLO were completely unreasonable about supplying blu-tac, in these difficult times they should be looking to diversify and spread risk.......:(

A 250 dob is easier to get on it's mount than a newt onto it's mount...also theres no need to align/level etc with a dob.

I move my dob tube about seperate to the base...& got heavy-duty bolts supplied...no need for blu-tac

A 250 dob is easier to get on it's mount than a newt onto it's mount...also theres no need to align/level etc with a dob.

I move my dob tube about seperate to the base...& got heavy-duty bolts supplied...no need for blu-tac

With the goto there is a need to level the mount.

I built a small platform for mine, the feet are adjustable, has a few advantages;

Makes levelling nice and easy, which improves the accuracy of the goto.

Raises the height of the eyepiece.

Stops the feet from getting muddy on nights when the ground is wet which means I no longer have to put a towel under it when I put it inside on the carpet.

d580d2a0.jpg

I built a small platform for mine, the feet are adjustable, has a few advantages;

Makes levelling nice and easy, which improves the accuracy of the goto.

Raises the height of the eyepiece.

Stops the feet from getting muddy on nights when the ground is wet which means I no longer have to put a towel under it when I put it inside on the carpet.

I like the way your recycling bin doubles as a workmate :)

I did something very similar by the way, great minds think alike ;)

Archived