Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Did I see a nova..?

ninehorn

Just witnessed a very strange event.

Location - Crowthorne, Berks.

Time - approx. 2146 Thu 29th March 2012.

Was looking out of my upstairs window to the east when I saw a brilliant flash of light above the star Arcturus. It lasted just a few secs and then faded quickly to virtually nothing. I'd say it was at least as bright as Venus if not slightly more.

Could it have been a nova..? I guess most people will think its a meteor or similar but it was unlike any meteor I've ever seen.

Anyone else see it..?

rgds

ninehorn

Yep, I'd say an iridium flare. The "Heavens Above" website tells you what they are and when and where they are predicted to happen:

Help - Iridium Flares

A supernova is very faint and comes slowly to peak brightness over a number of days or sometimes weeks. Unless one happens very nearby of course :(

ahh..thx all, an iridium flash eh, you learn something every day..!

just checked the heavens-above site and there wasn't one planned for tonight but I guess it must have been something to do with a satellite etc.

Almost certainly one of the above suggestions. By the way, a nova brightens and fades over a period of days and weeks, not in the short timescale that you observed.

Archived