Deep-Sky Companions: The Caldwell Objects

peterbolson

One of my favourite books is Stephen O'Meara's Messier Objects so I wanted to move on & get his Deep-Sky Companions: The Caldwell Objects but I can only find second hand copies at ridiculous prices ( £109 on Amazon, £69 plus £10+ postage from the USA on Alibris & Abebooks ). Does anyone know of any better prices ? It seems a great shame that it's OUP.

Peter

Thats the going rate now I'm afraid for that book.

Since they stopped publication the price swiftly increased.

Why did they stop publishing this one when they still publish the rest? Anyone know?

(Might consider selling mine for £99.99 :()

Not the same as the book you want, but have you seen the book feature on Wikipedia? If you do a search for Caldwell Objects on wiki...

Caldwell catalogue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then scroll almost to the bottom, on the right, you should see 'Book:Caldwell Objects' From here you can create a Wiki Book with all the info that wikipedia has on the Caldwell catalogue. This can be ordered in print or downloaded in several formats. I usually just get the PDF as its free :(

This works for lots of wiki searches by the way, i have downloaded many.

Thats the going rate now I'm afraid for that book.

Since they stopped publication the price swiftly increased.

Wondered why I'd never seen it around. How annoying the others are easy to locate and such great reads I too was hoping to pick one of these up at some point. But I sure sure ain't paying that price for no book.

Not the same as the book you want, but have you seen the book feature on Wikipedia? If you do a search for Caldwell Objects on wiki...

Caldwell catalogue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then scroll almost to the bottom, on the right, you should see 'Book:Caldwell Objects' From here you can create a Wiki Book with all the info that wikipedia has on the Caldwell catalogue. This can be ordered in print or downloaded in several formats. I usually just get the PDF as its free :(

This works for lots of wiki searches by the way, i have downloaded many.

I didn't know you could do that. I downloaded the PDF. It would cost under 14 euros plus postage to print. Obviously lacks Stephen O'Meara's very individual approach, which I like a lot, but as a basic list with a lot of information it will do, especially when combined with the MSAS Caldwell finder list.

I'd love to get the O'Meaera one day but meanwhile I think I'll print off the finder charts as I need them & use the PDF version of wikipedia as reference.

Many thanks for all the advice.

Peter

Archived