Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Year In Astronomy (What To Expect Over Spring / Summer)

Hi all,

Just got into Astronomy, love it so far. Actually got my ass out of bed at 3am last night for a couple of hours seeing.

What happens over Spring / Summer? Are the views as good, do we get to see different things, or is Autum / Winter the best time and i won't get much use over the next 6 months?

Would really like the chance to see some diferent planets at more sociable hours. :(

I'm a newb, but I know that there are all sorts of objects year round. Download Stellarium, which is free, and you can whizz forward in time to see what the sky would look like or just change the date. There are also star maps on-line but I don't use them as I use Stellarium, but I'm sure someone will give you some good sites.

Alexxx

Hi

Spring is Galaxy time for most of us with the constellations of Leo, Virgo and Coma showing their stuff.

The summer (despite what some seem to think) is a great time to observe apart from around the very shortest days. The milky way is stunning and the area of it around sagittarius is absolutely packed with incredible DSO,s

The constellations slowly change throughout the year with the constellations of summer totally different than those of the winter.

Regards Steve

hi..best way to see into astronomy future is use stellarium as you can fast forward it to see whats going on

also i buy astro. now mag, or sky at night, whichevers your preference, and these both give you a heads up

also i have a planisphere-its just a circle with a circle ontop which shows you the contellations in the sky when you align up the month date and time

the basic idea is that constellations which you have to stay really late to see will gradually become earlier in the sky, and obviously the ones early in the sky now will dissapear below the horizon before darkness.

the planets need a bit more research and thought as they obviously move along the contellations so i recommend stellarium or the mags

rich

Archived