NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 150p or 150pl

Pappy Nick

Hi all ...

I'm toying with the idea of buying one of these two 'scopes. Is there anybody out there who can tell me what sort of viewing (or imaging) differences the different focal ratios make (f5 vs f8 I believe) ?

Cheers

I've used both and I think they're both good scopes.

The longer focal length suited me better for plantary webcam imaging but I'd want an Eq5 or better mount. The f5 was wobbly enough on an eq3-2 and the f8 still had some shakes on a cg5.

no difference in visual for DSO's as the apature is the same on both (150) so will let in the same amount of light.

Both wil be fine for "snaps" etc. The longer one is more forgiving on cheaper eye pieces and will need less regular collimating.

I've used both for an extended amount of time (well, the Helios branded one but it's the same) and the 150PL is a lot more useful. DSO's appear the same at the same magnifications, longer focal length means it's more forgiving on cheaper eyepieces (think of it as a free single level upgrade), it's more forgiving of collimation errors so easier to collimate and you get closer to planets.

I've got one so I'm a bit biased but then I've also got an EQ6 which it lives on and I haven't upgraded, the 150PL just keeps on performing.

The F/5 gives a wider FOV an ever so slightly brighter images. The faster ratio means that it will require either good quality EP's for stunning views or the observer to be less critical of edge performance with cheaper EP's. The f/8 achieves higher magnification with any given EP but UK seeing usually restricts magnification to x200-250 anyway so no real advantage there unless you use tight eye relief orthoscopic's or plossl's. The FOV will be shorter and objects very slightly duller. The advantage of the f/8 is it will be a lot more forgiving of cheaper EP's but as mentioned before the FOV is shorter so less magnification will be used to fit larger DSO's in and so some detail will be lost anyway. The disadvantage with the f/8 over the f/5 is the length making it harder to mount.

I have 150mm f5 and a 150mm f11 newts and can say without any reservation that the slower f11 produces far superior planetary visual images than the faster f5. contrast is enhanced and detail easier to see, especially on Mars. as above light gathering is the same and the field of view very different. the f5 has a better figure optics (1/8PV vs 1/6PV in the f11). neither is a patch on my 16" f4 but that's another story.....

Archived