First Galaxy

SwampStar

After being blown away by the planets and my first Messier not long ago, I'm planning on spotting my first galaxy tonight.

Forecast looks good and if it's as clear as last night, I'll be gutted not to see any!

Any tips of where to start, or which are the 'easiest' to see?

Cheers...:blob10:

After all that, I didn't see ANY galaxies at all.

Well, I might have done, but I'm not really sure. I think the LP in my garden is more than I thought!

However, I did see Pleiades (plus the shooting star!) and a cracking little double star just to the left of Vega.

Will have to find somewhere a bit darker...

Good luck...lots of bright galaxies available this time of year.

Happy hunting.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Just got myself a Skywatcher Explorer 130P Telescope, please advise what bright galaxies I would see this time of year as I am new to astronomy.

That is the double double you saw in Lyra.

On the galaxy front do try M31 low down to the West early evening and then I would try M94 which is relatively easy to find and has a bright core..

M81/82 are brighter but are harder to locate..

Mark

yep, got to agree with the others, most have been ultra faint in my small scope ,but m81/82 do stand out well. can be troublesome to find , but worth the effort.

happy hunting...

Wow, the list is long this time of year...m65, m66, m95, m96, m105, ngc2903....just to throw out a few. Key thing is to be patient and not get frustrated...the longer you do it the more you'll see.

Happy hunting.

Wow, the list is long this time of year...m65, m66, m95, m96, m105, ngc2903....just to throw out a few. Key thing is to be patient and not get frustrated...the longer you do it the more you'll see.

Happy hunting.

You`re a gent thanks.

Archived