Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting them trained :)

UnderTheRain

There are about 50 people where I work and I'm the only astronomy fan but I felt a little bit of pride today as we were all leaving work one of the new starters said whats that star up there and one of my colleagues a non astronomer said that's not a star it's Venus and then he proceeded to point of Jupiter and Mars and how he spent last night looking up the sky online lol 1 converted 49 to go :blob10:

UTR

I think showing other people what is in the sky is one of the greatest (yet simplest) pleasures in this hobby. Just this evening I took my scope round to a friends house who had been interested. We had a good look at the moon, Jupiter and then a few messiers. He was so excited. He's now suggested another evening of viewing accompanied with a few beers. . . . Think I've found myself a new astro buddy :blob10:

I agree that it can be cool to show others the night sky. However, I do prefer to be left alone when observing and hunting for deep sky objects. My neighbour came around tonight for 20 or so minutes and it meant I had to stop my recordings and chit chat.... ugggh.

Similar, I was telling a work colleague last night about The great view of the Moon, Venus and before I could finish he said yeah and Jupiter is there too. I was quite impressed as he claims no knowledge of the skies at all. So I asked if he knew when Saturn would be up, he said no ha, touché.

Reminds me of two occasions in the last few years. One was when I set up some kit in the works car park to project the 2004 transit of Venus. It provoked a lot of interest, virtually the entire workforce showed up during the course of the morning to take a look.

The other time was when I invited one of my neighbours around just to look at Saturn, on a night of reasonably good seeing. He, a middle-aged man, was as captivated and enthralled as a small child. He spent many minutes at the EP. He afterwards said he'd never seen a planet 'live' through a telescope before.

It's a pity that this early, spontaneous enthusiasm often palls. When folks realise, they're not going to see Hubble-quality splendour through a terrestrial eyepiece...:blob10:

Archived