NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Squeeky Threads

SteveL

As I tend to observe on the patio at the back of my house, any squeeky threads (tripod, VB, OAG, or anything else that screws into another part of my astro kit) make me paranoid that its going to annoy/wake-up the wife... or even the neighbours. What would you recommend I apply (very carefully!) to the threads to prevent then squeeking?

(If it wasnt near the optics, a liberal use of WD40 usually does the job...)

Personally I wouldn't worry about it - there's little chance that the squeeks are going to be any louder than the shutter on your Canon going off, or your mount slewing at fast speed.

Peonic

I have a similar problem with my "T" threaded stuff and they bind a bit sometimes.

I put a tiny bit of 3in1 oil on a rag and just wipe the threads with it.

Solves the problem for a while and there's not enough oil on there to cause a problem.

Rubbing the threads on a wax candle might help and of course, the old cure for

sticking zips, rub with a soft pencil. That might "lubricate" the threads enough :D

WD40 is a release oil. My father is a retired machinist and engineer and always said to me that WD40 attracts a lot of moisture, and I remember using it on my bike when I was a teenager to release the chain........true to form a few days later and a thin layer of rust appeared. Since then I have used 3 in 1 like Phil. I use it on the cast iron beds of my woodworking machines, and on my hand tools, especially my turning chisels. Lubricates well and should solve your "squeaks".

Also the lithium grease from halfords is good, but it cooks off into a nice sticky goo, maybe too much of a pain if it is a thread you touch a lot.

Honestly, WD40 is not as good as everyone believes it is, in my humble opinion.

Jonathen :D

Me and Steve were chatting on MSN earlier - seems that some bike shops sell a teflon based lubricant that expels moisture as well as lubricating - anyone had any experience of this stuff, and have any idea if it might be suitable?

Peonic.

Archived