NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

grab and go tripod for my PST?

BigDunc78

Hello i know this is the imaging section and im not posting an image, but looking for some advice.

I am awaiting on a PST 40mm to arrive im just wandering what tripod or mount to get, preferably a grab and go arrangement, although i would like to get into Ha photography at some point too, i own an heq5 and dmk21 so just looking to see what other folk on here are using? I have a cheapo camera tripod but its really wobbly, any help appreciated.

I use a Half Hitch Alt Az Mount on a Manfrotto 351MVB tripod. The tripod has a 75mm half ball which makes levelling in conjunction with the bubble level really easy. As its quite tall I do not need to extend the lower leg sections.

A good quality photographic tripod and head is going to cost around £150-£200 anyway, so as Kev suggests, a Merlin would suit nicely and you would get tracking and with the PST upright as well. (visually using a PST on an EQ mount gives me neck ache as the eyepiece cannot be repositioned).

I use a SkyTee2 at the moment for visual use (which is great, but manual tracking) and my NEQ6 for imaging use. But I'm also considering a Merlin even for use at home. Could have the whole thing setup and tracking in a couple of minutes, cannot say that for the NEQ6, takes me that long just to carry the while thing outside. :(

I've found that for visual, you may only use the PST for say half an hour, but you want to use it everyday you can see the sun. So anything that cuts down on time spent faffing about setting up, the better.

Cheers

Ian

Archived