Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is it?

vawnidge, i would download stellarium. its FREE ! and you can find zoom in on areas, see info on thousands of objects . you will find it a massive help when you want to put a name to an object your unsure of.

cunning plan, thank you :)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stellerium is like a bible to astronomers.

in some ways ive been overreliant on it as a novice, running in and out the house ruining my night vision to check star pattens. trying to rely on my atlas a little more now,but im a sucker for stellarium. it is dam good.

paul, have you reported on that monster zoom you bought yet ?

(scrap that, seen your post now)

When are the Stellarium chaps going to release an iPad version??? Pocket Universe for iPad is excellent if you have an iPad :)

I have Stellarium on my iPhone so surely it works on iPad?

Paul

in some ways ive been overreliant on it as a novice, running in and out the house ruining my night vision.

On the menu at the bottom of the Stellarium screen there's a picture of an eye. This switches to night vision. Turn off the lights in the house and you're sorted.

Paul

could have been capella... :s

I think Cappella was SW last night, along with Pollux ( :blob10: ) Very bright objects (that I saw at W or SW, not sure as I don't have a compass) are also Sirius, Betelgeuse, and my beloved Mars, who's flying bright and reddish over my backyard all night. At SE you'll find Arcturus (pretty high in the sky) and Saturn + Spica. Venus and Jupiter were W last time I saw them....

maybe in australia or southern hemisphere

Correct. A pedantic point, but thought I'd get it in before one of our southern friends takes issue with the statement. It's upside down too!

Archived