Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

planetery rotation question

a10ken

It certainly is scope- and camera-dependent, but I can't recall exactly how at the moment. Stuart is probably right that it's FL-related. Martin Mobberley(sp?) covers this in his webcam planetary imaging book. I'll dig out the detail later if I can. I tend to use around two minutes for Jupiter, six minutes for Saturn and ten for Mars.

Jupiter and Saturn rotate fairly quickly (~12 hours), but as Saturn is further away the resolution is lower so imaging runs can be longer. Although Mars is much closer, it's rotating much more slowly (~24 hours) so again, runs can be longer.

James

I did, two posts up :blob10:

I decided to work back through the calculations for capture time and focal ratios etc. from first principles. It's taken me a short while to understand all the maths, but I think I've got it sorted now, so I'll post all the details together shortly. Some of the results have some as a surprise to me I have to admit.

James

Archived