Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Panaview 32mm or Baader Hyperion Aspheric

I have a Xcel LX 25mm but want something a little more wide angle to complete my current line up. I have had 2" 32mm Panaview on order with FLO since January but am getting itchy feet waiting (this is not a dig at FLO they made me fully aware of the possible ETA - April so no bad there) so am considering the BH Aspheric probably the 37mm which is a little bit more expensive but like I said I've always been rubbish at waiting for things through the post.

Anyone got any comments on whether the Baader would be a worthwhile upgrade over the Panview or would I be better off saving my money and just waiting? (200p Skyliner owner)

thanks folks

Steve

I would go with the 36mm Aspheric for a nice 2 degree fov. The 35mm Aero would also be a good choice. Both these eps will produce a 6mm exit pupil so although getting up there shouldn't really pose a problem.

Steve, I can't help you with any kind of comparison but can tell you that the two best buys I've made since starting have been my Telrad and 31mm Hyperion.

The Hyperion is easily my most used EP, I ditched my finder and just use the 31mm and Telrad to find objects and its also great for clusters etc.

Something else which shocked me was that I can see Jupiters bands as clearly with my 31mm Hyperion as I can my 12mm Explorer!?

Why did I read this post? It is expensive!

I have a bundle of shorter FL Hyperions and have been more than pleased with the views.

I have various longer FL 1.25" & 2" EPs that give 'OK' results and have wondered on and off about replacing them.

Now I'm thinking of a long FL expensive Baader eyepiece again.

Please, someone post that they aren't worth the money.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to decide which one to go for as well.

I was going to wait for the panaview to be in stock,but in the end I went for the Hyperion 31mm which turned up yesterday.;)

It feels like excellent quality and if these clouds go away tonight I'll give it a try.

Danny.

I think I'm going to hold out for the panaview which I've already paid FLO for- got a 12mm BT Explorer today so spendings coming to a big halt - I think next purchase then will be a new Dob but thats a few years down the line

The exit pupil for the 36mm worked out as 6.667mm (or around there!) and I wasn't sure how close to 7mm I could go hence my reason for the 31mm.

I went for the Hyperion Aspheric 36mm and its made a world of difference find DSO's and i find it easy viewing, does need a bit of left and right with my eye but i'm very happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well after the wait flo now have the baader aspheric on stock so upgraded from the pana to the 31mm baader aspheric hope its the right choice spending is concluded for this year.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Archived