Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

batterys, canon 300d short life :(

garethmob

im having some problems which could cause a lot of disapointment for me

my 300d it was second hand, i have 3 batterys (ones totally dead and the other 2 are ok but not 100%)

does any one have any ideas what i can do

im finding the batterys are lasting maybe 15 minuits i think i had 30 mins out of one once but that was it, and thats not enough, and i have no way to charge them if i take them out into the field

im not of the full technical minded person but i do have a soldering iron.....

any suggestions on what i can do?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like they are past their best. Once they are damaged, e.g. left uncharged for a while, or just been through a lot of charge/discharge cycles, they never really recover.

You would save yourself a lot of time and worry and simply replace them.

Cheers

Ian

i didnt know they still made the batterys for the 300d i was hoping there might be a way for powering the camera from a powerpack but it is very old ;)

im very good with batterys, my mates got a supposed 6hr battery for his macbook pro its over 350 cycles and he gets about 40 mins on it now, mines on over 1000 cycles and still 2 and a half hours (on a older 4 hr macbook pro) so i do look after them but i didnt have these form new

would origional canons be better or is there any 3rd partys?

I bought four cheap eBay jobs for my 450D.

Three are fine (comparable life to Canon OEM,) one was toast.

For a fiver a go, I'm happy with those odds ;)

I prefer the odds on my Duracells off Amazon. £11 a pop for Duracells, 2 bought... 2 great. Plus with LiIons I prefer a trusted brand to know they're not going to literally go pop!

If you go for a mains power supply I'd recommend going for a good one rather than a cheap import from Hong Kong. Again, expensive it if blows up the camera. I'm sure Astromoniser would be fine.

thats im iv been looking for one of them for ages ;) but i wonder if i could get it to work off 12v jump charger?

Mine is 0.18A so I would think it'll run fine on a 240v invertor or just step down from 12v to 7.4v (although the power pack for my 10D, which takes the same batteries, says the output is 7.8v) and stick the right size and polarity plug on the end to go in where the transformer plugs into the dummy battery.

my battery says 7.4, i wonder about the astrometiser one that might be the ticket

also iv found these two batterys on the bay which would be better to go to for the price?

2500MAH BP511 BP-511A BATTERY FOR CANON EOS 10D 20D | eBay

1 battery, 2500MAH but £7.95 or

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

2 batties 2000 mha but £8.75

7.4v is the level at which the camera normally displays the change battery message...

Straight of charge they are around 8v

7.8v give full to 75%...

Peter...

That explains my 7.8v power pack - I did wonder. Cheers Peter (to the rescue again)

my battery says 7.4, i wonder about the astrometiser one that might be the ticket

also iv found these two batterys on the bay which would be better to go to for the price?

2500MAH BP511 BP-511A BATTERY FOR CANON EOS 10D 20D | eBay

1 battery, 2500MAH but £7.95 or

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

2 batties 2000 mha but £8.75

I've had very mixed experiences with aftermarket batteries of unknown brand. The worst being a battery for an IBM laptop that died the day after I left positive feedback on Ebay. Given that Li-Ion batteries have a chip in them to stop them overheating and exploding during charging I would be inclined to pay a few £ extra for an original or known brand.

how long should i expect a battery to last after a full charge (full being no flashing red light for 30 mins on charger)

i just found a origional battery but its way way way out of my budget ;):(Canon BP-511A Battery - Jessops - Digital Mains Units, Chargers & Batteries i know jessops were rip off but didnt releise that much

;)

how long should i expect a battery to last after a full charge (full being no flashing red light for 30 mins on charger)

i just found a origional battery but its way way way out of my budget ;):(Canon BP-511A Battery - Jessops - Digital Mains Units, Chargers & Batteries i know jessops were rip off but didnt releise that much

;)

Ouch, that's more than the few £ that I suggested.

Not exactly sure how long but I lent the kids my 10D on holiday last year and it came back after a day with a several hundred shots on the card and a battery still showing full. That's a Duracell battery btw.

On original canon batteries my 7D did over 4.5k shots in one day on 1 1/2 batteries...

I have had some really ropey cheapies off ebay which had no where near the capacity and were filled with scrap cardboard.. I only wanted then for the cases...

I also had a cheap camera psu that blew up... fortunately the canera was ok..

Peter...

Cold has a big impact on a battery's ability to hold a charge & it's subsequent memory.

To illustrate an extreme, a friend went on a photographic tour of the Arctic & then Antarctic and found the batteries lasted less and less time on each charge. They are basically shot and though he still uses them, he has to keep swapping them out to put in him pocket to warm up so he gets an extra 10 minutes or so. (Or just nick a spare one of me).

If you (or the previous owner) are using the camera a lot outside in winter, this, (along with just age and not letting them discharge fully before recharging), could be part of the reason.

Cold has a big impact on a battery's ability to hold a charge & it's subsequent memory.

To illustrate an extreme, a friend went on a photographic tour of the Arctic & then Antarctic and found the batteries lasted less and less time on each charge. They are basically shot and though he still uses them, he has to keep swapping them out to put in him pocket to warm up so he gets an extra 10 minutes or so. (Or just nick a spare one of me).

If you (or the previous owner) are using the camera a lot outside in winter, this, (along with just age and not letting them discharge fully before recharging), could be part of the reason.

i would say that thats probally the problem

i only bought the dslr for 95% ap imagering and 5% anything else so it is used outside in the cold. iv no idea what previous owner did with the card,the photos have 5418 on the clock now (had about 3000ish when i bought it) i had it off a second hand photo shop on ebay so anything could of happened ;)

Archived