Cross-Hair Adapter

Armsoft

I'm after a Cross-Hair adapter (in preference to an eyepiece).

Quite happy with either New or Second Hand

Can anyone point me in the right direction as Google has not been very helpfull

Thanks

Mark

I'm not sure you can get a universal cross hair adapter, one size fits all so to speak.

The cross hairs need to be at the image plane of the ep, which will usually correspond with the placement of the eyepieces field stop. Most likely to be different with differing eyepiece designs & focal lengths.

Maybe try a dirt cheap ep,really thin wire & tube of superglue?

I'm not sure you can get a universal cross hair adapter, one size fits all so to speak.

The cross hairs need to be at the image plane of the ep, which will usually correspond with the placement of the eyepieces field stop. Most likely to be different with differing eyepiece designs & focal lengths.

Maybe try a dirt cheap ep,really thin wire & tube of superglue?

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have borrowed an adapter from a fellow SGLer which he picked up from AstroBS, so they are available, I just need to find out where from.

Thanks again

Mark

The cross hair adapter you are talking about,does it screw into the bottom of the eyepiece and looks like a small t-adapter?

Yes it does? Do you know where I can get one?

Mark

If you end up fabricating a crosshairs the best fibre I've found is called spider web and is used to tie fishing flies... It's much finer than human hair.

I think spider silk is also used for making the cross hair on Norton Bombsights

Guys,

Thankyou very much for the help & advice.

A special thanks to paul mc c for the kind offer, very much appreciated.

SGL has just got the most genuine members, thanks again

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Just came across this thread, thought I would post a couple of photos of the crosshare adapter I purchased second hand awhile back.

The owner said it was made by TAL. It is of aluminium construction and well made. the crosshairs are wire and work with standard thread 1.25" eyepieces down to about 9mm.

post-34570-133877765162_thumb.jpg

post-34570-133877765168_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

I bought a right angled finder scope a few years ago, mail order.

Most disappointed when I discovered it had no cross hairs fitted.

My answer for cross hair material was a length of 1/8" diameter nylon cord. I think it is some times called para cord. Presumably because similar cord is used on parachutes.

The outer sheath is a woven tube and the inner comprises of about three or four bundles of very fine nylon.

I cut a length of about four inches and then slid out the inner bundles. The very fine nylon was glued in place onto a friction fit plastic tube using nail varnish.

It just needed adjusting back and forth until it was in focus for my own eyesight.

I remember that I cut the plastic tube down its length to provide the springiness to hold it in position.

I have had the finder scope about five years and the nylon cross wires are still going strong.

Cheers.

Have you considered a fixed crosshair eyepiece and a 5x barlow to increase the magnification for fine alignment? It would probably involve a lot less messing about that swapping a crosshair between different eyepieces :)

Then you could perhaps get something like a graticule EP so as well as centring, you can use it to measure the separation of doubles or size of features on the sun if you have a suitable solar filter

all the best

Tim

Reading my previous post about nylon fibre I didn't make it clear that only one fine fibre is extracted from one of the internal bundles.

You can get the cord in various colours, red, green, black, white, etc.

I used red and it is quite visible in the light polluted skies where I live.

Cheers.

Archived