Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Omni Plossl 32mm

sinky

I am just getting started and I am looking for a reasonably priced 32mm eyepiece. I want to stick to 1.25" for now.

The Celestron Omni Plossl is in the right price range. Is this a decent choice or are there better alternatives in the £40-£50 price range.

I see that it is available on FLO for £49.50, but is also available from Wex Photographic for £32. Quite a difference. Have I missed something?

Celestron 32mm Omni Series Plossl Eyepiece (#93323) - wex photographic

What do you want it for?

A 32mm plossl on your scope will give 1.33 degree view, something like the 25mm BST Explorer will give a 1.25 degree view.

The field of view will be similar and the magnification is a bit more.

The 25mm BST is reckoned to be the "worst" of the set in that the edges are not sharp, but I would expect the same on a plossl. So no real loss and the central 60% or 80% part of the BST will be good.

Take "worst" to be least good. It is still a good eyepiece.

They are £47 from Sky's the Limit.

£50 for a pretty standard plossl seems a fair bit, £32 seems OK.

Being honest the process of picking an eyepiece can send you mad.:)

What do you want it for?

I have the 25mm eyepiece that came with the scope, which doesn't seem too bad. I am looking for something of better quality with a wider field of view for Viewing DSOs.

The 32mm Omni was the first "decent" EP I bought and is certainly an improvement on the 24mm you got with your 200p. If you are limited to a £50 budget then you can't go wrong with the 32mm Omni and it will give you a wider FoV and slightly sharper view than the 25mm you have.

I don't use the 32mm Omni so much now as I've got a 24mm Hyperion which gives a similar FoV at higher magnification and a brighter view. I've used both in a 200p and I would recommend getting the 24mm Hyperion if your budget could stretch to £90.

Archived