Help for total novice please

I'm new to astronomy although had an interest for years. Just purchased my first telescope a Dobsonian Sky watcher, this was purchased second habd and looks in very good order although it turns out it was sent with eyepieces from another scope. the eyepieces are a 10mm and a super 25, no other markings, I also have an extension tube both in the 2" section of the focuser and one in the 1.25 section.

I am obviously making some stupid basic fault becase I simply cant get a focus on any object, not even the moon! I have consulted my books but the mistake I'm making must be so basic I can't find anything that helps.

I have tried using eyepieces with and without extension tubes, and have checked the alignment of the top mirror all look to be fine.

I have found that I can get a focused view if I move my eye about 9 inches away from the eyepiece, I'm sure this is not how it should be viewed, too small to see anythig other than the moon!

I'm alowing the scope 2 hours to aclimatise before use, mirrors and eyepieces appear free from any misting.

Afraid I don't know any other astronomers (yet) who I can ask for help, are ther any kind folk out there who could put me on the right track?

P.S it's a dobsonian 10" fith computerised tracking. I live just outside Southampton in Chandlers Ford.

Many thanks

Chris

I have found that I can get a focused view if I move my eye about 9 inches away from the eyepiece, I'm sure this is not how it should be viewed

That certainly does not sound right.

It wont take very long here til someone sets you on the right path to cure your problem.

Nice scope BTW.

both the eyepieces are 1.25 size, the 2" extension tube fits between the focuser and the adapter for the 1.25.

I have tried hand holding the eyepiece in the space of the2" opening but this shows nothing that I can see.

Thanks for the idea.

Chris

If it is like mine you just use the 1.25 extension with eye pieces

If you use the 2" and the 1.25" together you won't be able to focus.

Is it a flex tube model ? if so is it fully extended

If it is like mine you just use the 1.25 extension with eye pieces

If you use the 2" and the 1.25" together you won't be able to focus.

Is it a flex tube model ? if so is it fully extended

I reckon this is problem:icon_salut:

Make sure you fully extend the trusses.

It should look like this:

Flex-320x504.jpg

Rather than this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAAdFHN9GBZ1wnLougT2l7U63aNSsRbRIJuij-hJ7oD1rLfjtcJ_lBJX5cpw

The Skywatcher dobs come with a fitting for 2" ep's and another for 1.25" ep's - especially the larger ones 10" and upward. Use whichever one goes with the size of eyepiece you want to use. You should also find the 1.25" fitting unscrews at the end of the barrel to reveal a T-thread for direct attachment of a dslr :)

I have a skywatcher with both 1.25 and 2 inch fittings and with the 1.25 eyepeices you use it with the focusser base 2"/1.25" fitting so the 1.25" goes in and your left with the 2"/2" adapter spare. If you feel its something simple you could check online for diagrams of how light reflects through the scope, and make sure all the dust caps etc are off. If its a barlow x2 eyepeice check its properly atached. And as mentioned your tubes should be aligned and extended fully. Just methodically follow an online how-to, you'll get it soon enough.

Good luck and ccongrats on the new scope,

Regards Jay

Tube is fully extended, I did get an operation manual and read itbefore use, My scope looks like the one in the pic only it's black, it also has a sleve which covers the gap to prevent light ingress.

could you let me have a close up picture of your focuser once it is fully set up for use?

I also discovered after reading some of the replies thet it also has an extendable tube built into the focus block.

Regretably we have full cloud tonight so can't try out the ideas, many thanks for the help, I will try all of them:)

I reckon this is problem:icon_salut:

Make sure you fully extend the trusses.

It should look like this:

Flex-320x504.jpg

Rather than this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAAdFHN9GBZ1wnLougT2l7U63aNSsRbRIJuij-hJ7oD1rLfjtcJ_lBJX5cpw

Thanks for that, found the threaded end on the adapter, was in great hope and dug out my Nikon D90 which I will eventually use but it's a 52mm thread on the lense so I will need to get another compatible T piece once I can get things working.

Cloudy skies at the moment so can't try out any of the ideas.

Many thanks:)

The Skywatcher dobs come with a fitting for 2" ep's and another for 1.25" ep's - especially the larger ones 10" and upward. Use whichever one goes with the size of eyepiece you want to use. You should also find the 1.25" fitting unscrews at the end of the barrel to reveal a T-thread for direct attachment of a dslr :)

Thanks for that

Not a barlow, but considering getting one once I can get the damn thing working, can'e tell you how frustrating it is at the moment! Waited for ages to get a scope till I could get one of reasonable size and can't get it working:mad: Sure I can do it with all the help I'm getting but unfortunatelly full cloud so nothing to see.

Thanks again:)

I have a skywatcher with both 1.25 and 2 inch fittings and with the 1.25 eyepeices you use it with the focusser base 2"/1.25" fitting so the 1.25" goes in and your left with the 2"/2" adapter spare. If you feel its something simple you could check online for diagrams of how light reflects through the scope, and make sure all the dust caps etc are off. If its a barlow x2 eyepeice check its properly atached. And as mentioned your tubes should be aligned and extended fully. Just methodically follow an online how-to, you'll get it soon enough.

Good luck and ccongrats on the new scope,

Regards Jay

Don't fret about it too much Chris - this a a higher end scope but there's just a little something that isn't right here - the scope will work though for sure. If they aren't the regular supplied eyepieces then the fault may be with one or both of what you have.

For the camera you can get a T-ring here which will fit on the T-thread of the 1.25" barrel :)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/t-rings.html

Chris I recently bought my first telescope - an 8" Skywatcher Dob. i am completely new to this and was so excited. I put it together and couldn't see a thing. I tried everything but to no avail. a very kind member of a local astronomy society came over to help me and discovered I had put an extra bracket (used for astrophotography apparently!) on which was unnecessary. He also collimated it and after a bit of twiddling with the focussing wheels it worked!!! Don't despair....you'll get it working.

Archived