Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Piggybacking..??

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 150PL EQ3-2 / EQ3 PRO GOTO

On my scope see ^ the 2 tube holders, in particular the one lower down that has the black knob on the top. Well, I just got my DLSR to attach to that. Where I would normally screw the DLSR to the tripod, that female screw from the underside of the camera bit fits nicely on top of the scope holders.

Have I found this by chance or is it supposed to do that?

Also, if have tried attaching the camera higher up. It's only really hand tight when facing the way it does in this pic ie the wrong way. Maybe I could use a washer or something?

Could I then use my DSLR on there and take advantage on the motors tracking?

Would the camera need to be facing the way the scope is? Or does it not matter. Could I still use the tracking but have the camera pointing to wherever I wanted?

And I guess there's no reason why I even have to have the EP/finder scope facing that way, I could always twist the tube down a bit?

Could this work please? Thanks

416995_10151386435135431_587230430_22977090_123400283_n.jpg

"Have I found this by chance or is it supposed to do that?"

Its supposed to do that. Rather than screwing the camera all the way onto the bolt, do it most of the way and so to the point where the camera is pointing in the correct direction - then turn the black nut until it comes into contact with the bottom of the camera. Tighten this until the camera is held securely.

Generally works out best if you have the camera on the same plane as your scope - just makes things easier

regards,

Ian

Hi Ian, thanks

Well blow me!! Thats excellent news, I'm glad I had a brain wave today haha

So I can have it all facing the correct way, use the tracking and get some longer exposures. That ought to take me up a peg or two now.

I dont know what its called, but I think its called a dovetail?..the long black thing that the scope sits on? Well I just found a 2nd one in my box of stuff. Is it that that supposed to sit on top of the ring holders perhaps? Attach the camera to that and then put it on the holder ring?

Ok, they're usually referred to as "scope rings". And in most cases, only one of the two has a thread for a camera bolt, I think. But people often use that thread to bolt a dovetail over the two scope rings and then put a second guidescope on the dovetail (with yet more scope rings!).

• 3 weeks later...

well well, looks like i'm cashing in on yet another of your threads Sandra... i've just acquired an old Canon slr (film) for exactly this - piggy backing.

Still got loads to learn, but i'm looking forwards to it!

well well, looks like i'm cashing in on yet another of your threads Sandra... i've just acquired an old Canon slr (film) for exactly this - piggy backing.

Still got loads to learn, but i'm looking forwards to it!

Stalker ;P

I have a short dovetail that (I think) came with my ST120. It has a 1/4" UNC threaded hole in the middle, so I removed the screw and locknut from one of my scope rings and put them in the dovetail instead. I can now fix the camera directly on the dovetail and put it on the mount without the need for a telescope at all. The benefit should be less mass on the mount and therefore (hopefully) more accurate tracking.

James

nice one James. I'm-a-tinkering with ideas on this

I found with my dslr on the scope rings, I get the edge of the scope itself in the frame. I need to hoik it up somehow, just by an inch or so I reckon. That should do alright. Need a power pack too, batteries are driving me nuts

If you're having problems because the scope is in shot and your EQ3-2 is new enough to have a dovetail clamp then I definitely think it's worth trying to mount the camera on a dovetail and leave the telescope out. The more you raise the camera above the telescope the less stable it's going to be.

I've been playing with the same setup recently (although I don't really have a particularly suitable lens), but need to get back to tuning the mount a bit more. I got a fair way and then postponed it in favour of leaving everything set up for imaging Mars.

James

Me & my friend John piggbacked his camera on my scope rings using a tripod head. This allowed us to point it wherever we pleased!

you need to make sure the camera is bolted down well for piggybacking. I have lost a number of shots due to 'drift' i.e. the camera moving relative to the mount due to not being able to sufficiently tighten the camera down enough.

If you are not using the scope for guiding then do away with it altogether and fix the camera dirctly to the mount using a short dovetail bar & tripod ball head. A big professional type ball & socket tripod head will not move at all even with a heavy telephoto lense.

Ball head on EQ6

Dscf1901.jpg

Archived