I've cocked up, 1st time collimation

I know their is always a thread on collimation somewhere on here and is one of the most horris things to do for a 1st timer, and I can verify that as I've made mine worse using a DIY method:eek:

I know I know I just used an end cap with a hole in the eye-piece but my enthusiasm got the best of me..:)

Cut a long story short I went onto youtube and watched these guys

collimate their's and I thought god that looked pretty straight forward and easy so I gave it a go on my 200p dob.

Big mistake as its well buggered and well out know,

Anyways I think I, well I need to by a decent laser collimator to put it right, looking at these they appear to be the cheapest on ebay and looks like the one they used so I'm gonna give it a go,

Seben Laser Collimator LK1 Perfect Telescope Alignment 1.25" | eBay

anybody got one of these out of interest before I make the plunge and all that:)

Cheers,

Si.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laser collimators themselves need collimating, so there's no guarantee that a cheap one will provide the results you're looking for. I'd get a cheshire collimator.

Astro Babys Guide to Collimation

This was the guide I used when I first collimated my scope, it took a while but I got it in the end. Once you manage it once, you look back and wonder what all the fuss was about.

I'm sure you have done nothing that can't be quickly put right. Is there an astro club near you or even a friendly SGL member who could have a quick look at the scope and square things up for you ?.

A low-cost, mis-collimated laser collimator could just make things worse I fear.

Thanks for that tip, On step 4 adjusting primary it says this:

For this stage you will need the Cheshire collimator. Insert this into the focuser and take a look through the collimator. You should see a pattern similar to the one shown below right - this is from a telescope that is in collimation.

My nooby Q is which end do I look through on the collimator for this step, the end or the side of it..:)

Also any cheapy collimators aboot?

Cheers.

Just had a look at the cheshire is around same price as a laser, I appreciate what you say about callibarating but where not talking huge distances here, surely the laser one would be best/easiest?

thanks again

Hi, you look through the end of the cheshire, the side hole is to let the light in! A cheshire is about the same price as a cheap laser, which, as others have said, may need collimating itself, and make matters worse. I found it fairly straight forward with a cheshire to be honest!

Ah, close. I realised while working it out that an old map, pencil, bit of string and a pin would have been far easier, technology isn't great for everything!

puregeordie, I realise it might not be the answer you want to hear, but it's a train of thought that comes from those with experience in collimating(excluding me!). The problem is, if the laser isn't securely fitted and perfectly lined up, you won't manage to collimate it properly and the chance of it being well calibrated gets slimmer the cheaper you go. I honestly suggest you use a cheshire as it's really not that difficult and there's pleanty of people here that are willing to help you if you get stuck.

Also one thing I don't think you can use a laser to do the secondary only the primary But I may be wrong

Iv got a laser and the makeshift one as u laser helps on getting the dots up but they need to be secured properly. Last thing you want is it at a slight angle when you collinmate and it's out even more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not difficult if you take it step by step and only use small movements of screws at a time. If you cant reach the primary screws when viewing through the cheshire a second person guiding you can be helpful.

I'm new to this thing too and appear to have had some success with this Cheshire collimator.

First Light Optics - Premium Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece

This coupled with the astronomy shed videos seems to have done the trick for me.

I'd give this a go.

Cheers

Is it worth paying the extra fiver or just stick with the black one?

Cheers

I was a bit put off by it all but after about 40mins doing it for the first time it now takes about 10mins and is very simple,

Follow the guides you wont go wrong and as you do it you find little things that makes it easier and start to form your own little method and it becomes easier to do.

You cant break it just make it a little worse which CAN be fixed.....DONT WORRY!!

Thanks for the offer tms, but I needs one anyways and with me pssfarting about with it last night I just the the right tool for the job, then I should be good to go me hopes,

Just do think its a bit much for a plastic tube with a hole in for 25 quid!

Cheers.

Hello again, Right got my telescope collimated, or at least what I thought was collimated, still not got my cheshire yet by the way.

Anyways got my scope out last night and the viewing was much worse than before:eek: **hite!!

I'll try and explain my problem, Basically when I'm vieing with normal power using 10/25mm it looks better but still not brilliant, when I stick my 3X barlow on I have to move the focus to the extreme (outwards) to start getting it focused then it stops as it will not go further out and doesn't focus. Before I just had to do small moves so I have not idea what I've done wrong.

My DIY method with the end cap/hole(at the mo until I get my cheshire) does appear well collimated but when I go and use it and star test etc its well buggered!!

Anybody sold a scope because of collimation headaches or am I going to be the first:(

I'll keep trying though,

Cheers.

Archived