AstroMaster 130 EQ mirror mounts blocking viewer

Cannot upload a pic.

When viewing through the eyepiece it looks like a black circle with 3 lines coming from the centre that is blocking most of the object i am trying to see, it matches the plastic shape at the front of the light tube

thats exactly what it is, does not matter what magnification or which eyepiece i use, it's still there!! how do i solve this problem, it was my first time using the telescope and i was disapointed with the experience

are you using a barlow eyepiece or just the eyepiece itself? try the 25 or 20mm eyepiece and point the scope at a clear bit of night sky. start with the focuser wound all the way in and then work all the way out. you should find focus. if not then with the focuser all the way out loosen the eyepiece and look through it as you draw it bit by bit out of the focuser. does it reach focus at all?

If you can see the shadow of the secondary supports then you have not focused the telescope. Rotate the knurled knobs on the side of the focuser until you have a sharp image and the shadows will disappear. You will also need to refocus when you change eyepieces.

Peter

I have tried changing eyepieces but the shadows are still there, if i point at an object in daylight they disappear and I get a good clear image.

I looked towards jupiter tonight and all I could see was a white blob with the shadow across it so I assume its due to the lack of light.

I'll wait until the moon appears and try again

I get exactly the same thing when aiming the scope at say Jupiter. It sounds, like others have suggested, as though you haven't focused the object as sharply as possible. I see the shadow almost all the way upto completely focusing the scope.

I am also using the astromaster 130EQ

This was ny first ever pic through my SW150P, taken about 6 weeks ago with my mobile phone held up to the eyepiece. The vague circle of light with a dark blob in the middle worried me no end! But I realised what was causing it (poor focusing) and to be honest I haven't even been able to reproduce the effect since!

Persevere!

post-32344-133877747672_thumb.jpg

It really sounds like the colimation is way off. If you can't focus at all, that may be the issue. If it can't focus properly, your reflection in the eyepiece will be severely distorted when viewing at night due to the increase in direct light.

Archived