Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TMB Planetary II - too good to be true?

Hey all,

An "astro-virgin" here so go easy on me please ... :)

I was going to order a 6mm TMB Planetary II from Skys The Limit when I noticed that they are not taking orders until 18th March when i stumbled on what **looks** like the same for a shade under 37 pounds on Ebay?

planetary eyepiece / 1.25 inches , 58 degree , 6mm | eBay

Grateful for any thoughts? On the eyepiece (for a 660 focal length, 102mm refractor) and the dealer? anyone used him? Should I be looking for some alternative - given that my limit for a new higher power EP is about 50 pounds!

Cheers,

Carl

The TMB planetary's are produced by a few manufacturers in China, I suspect that this is simply another retailer of them. They may or may not be from the same source as Sky's the Limit.

As best anyone is aware they are copies/clones of the TMB's as sold by Burgess via outlets in the US. The branding is different and what the overall optics are like is open to debate.

They are generally good for the price.

Telescope Accessories-Astronomical Telescope-Biological Microscope,Astronomical Telescope,Magnifier Lamp

Sure I have seen the same elsewhere.

Very useful Capricorn, thanks

I am wondering now if I am better spending a touch more on a Celestron X-Cel LX Eyepiece? I note that they do not do a 6mm - I can see a 5mm and 7mm available. I wonder if the 5mm is too high powered for my short tube 102mm refractor (660mm fl)?

Thanks again

Regards

Carl

I fear that, so far as I can tell, all the "TMB" Planetaries available in the UK at present are copies. Genuine TMB Planetaries (see the TMB Optical web site) are available from Astronomics and High Point Scientific, both of whom will deliver to the UK, but with the inevitable charges and delay.

Very useful Capricorn, thanks

I am wondering now if I am better spending a touch more on a Celestron X-Cel LX Eyepiece? I note that they do not do a 6mm - I can see a 5mm and 7mm available. I wonder if the 5mm is too high powered for my short tube 102mm refractor (660mm fl)?

Thanks again

Regards

Carl

Celestron X-Cel LX 7 mm Telescope Eyepiece New Design FREE USA/CANADA SHIPPING | eBay

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all your help.

So ... Not having much joy with the new 102SLT at the moment - this darned clouds! Scope is FL660mm at f6.5

In the meantime I am thinking about new EPs.

Current line up is:

8mm Vixen NPL

10mm Celestron (supplied with scope)

25mm ditto

and a 2x Vixen Deluxe Barlow

... I just picked up the NPL and barlow for a bargain price

I am thinking I should get a

1. Celestron X-Cel LX 5mm or 7mm - is 5mm pushing this scope too hard (or still considering the 6mm TMB).

and ...

2. BST Explorer 25mm (to replace to Celestron EP for wide field of view)

Any advice to this confused beginner of course very welcome indeed!

Thanks

Carl

5mm should technically be ok, though tbh those short tube fracs aren't best suited to planetary viewing, you'l probably see a lot of false colour. Try the 10mm + barlow.

The general rule of thumb for absolute max magnification is about 40-50x per inch of aperture, with a cap of 200-250x for uk seeing.

Eyepiece collection looks pretty good, especially that BST (i'm a big fan of them).

The TMB planetary's are produced by a few manufacturers in China, I suspect that this is simply another retailer of them. They may or may not be from the same source as Sky's the Limit.

As best anyone is aware they are copies/clones of the TMB's as sold by Burgess via outlets in the US. The branding is different and what the overall optics are like is open to debate.

They are generally good for the price.

Telescope Accessories-Astronomical Telescope-Biological Microscope,Astronomical Telescope,Magnifier Lamp

Sure I have seen the same elsewhere.

The 82 degree EPs on that page look to have a whiff of Meade 5000 to them and F/Ls matching the Meades to boot. Hmmm

Archived