Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

26mm or 31mm

Damo636

26mm or 31mm Nagler?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. 26mm or 31mm Nagler?

Just curious as to how many of you guys would consider swapping the 26mm Nagler for the 31mm if you had my current setup? Having both is not an option.

Edit: I should have added that the 8" is an f6 and the 12" an f5.

I chose the 26 for much the same reasons (assuming the dobs are F/4-F/5) I used Olly's 26mm in his 20" F/4.1 dob and it is a stonkingly good combination. I do not know if the 31mm (7.56 mm exit pupil) would give a somewhat washed out image. If the 8" is an F/6, then the 31 is the perfect match for it, as I know from experience my little APM 80mm F/6. The best option is therefore: both :):D

I am not being helpful, am I :)

As much as I like the 31mm Nag if I were in your shoes I would stick with what you have. The 13 Etho and 31 T5 would leave a huge gap in the middle that may end up costing you a 20 T5 or 22 T4. With your current set up at worst it's going to cost you is a pair of 15x70's.

You are absolutely right Nick, I have decided to nip this notion in the bud and settle for what I have. I never even considered a pair of bins and they could well provide that wide field fix that I don't get with the dobs. Good advise mate, cheers.

I'v gone the 31mm / 20mm T5 Nagler approach. The 20mm gets more use from my moderately light polluted back garden but the 31mm is pretty awesome than it does see use :)

I've sometimes thought about swapping both for a 21mm Ethos or a 26mm Nagler but I've always liked to have "lowest / widest" eyepiece in the toolkit and the N31 did not cost me much (honestly !) so I can't see the point in changing at the moment.

I've gone with a 31 Nagler because apparently its a classic eyepiece and I wanted the biggest field of view possible. I also have young eyes so exit pupil doesn't matter so much for me.

I have a 24 Pan which bridges the gap between 13 eth and 31 nag, when I don't feel like killing the focuser.

Archived