Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ask a silly question...(DSLR /Skywatcher 127)

manofscience

Finally taken the plunge and blew (part of!) my student loan on a skywatcher-127 today. I have access to a Canon DSLR and, when I've got to grips with the actual scope I'd like to have a crack at some planetary imaging.

Is there a standard adapter for all SLR or are they camera specific? Im guessing that the telescope end will all be a standard size - but was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a suitable adapter?

Also - image stacking. Most of the free imaging softwares (registax etc) seem to all be Windows based. Is 'keiths image stacker' the only free/cheap for a beginner stacker out there?

Thanks in advance!

MOS

I ordered a standard T-fitting and adapter from Orion telescopes in California for my Canon. Not sure if they ship oversea's, you would have to check.

As for the image software, I only use Registax 6...not sure what operating system your using. http://www.telescope.com/

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Camera-Adapters-T-Rings/pc/4/62.uts

Hi MOS, see below matey:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors.html

you need a T-ring and adaptor, probably the 1.25 inch adaptor for your Mak I would Email FLO to make sure you get the right T-ring e.g. Canon T-ring. The Mak is an excellant scope for planetary work but a DSLR is not going to give you good results for planetary imaging compared to e.g a Cmos chip webcam, unless the DSLR you can use will do High frame rates?

HTH

Chris:)

p.s. what you studying?

Thanks all for the help!

I took the plunge and just went straight for the revelation eyepiece set which includes the T-Ring and Ill have to scout around for the adapter now I know what im looking for.

Yeah, I realise that the SLR will only be good for DSO stuff, and the skywatcher wont really compliment that, but the SLR is at my disposal immediately and my first priority is observing for the moment, hence the revelation set (being a catch-all good beginners EPs starter)

I'll invest in a webcam as and when, but for the time being I just wondered what Id need to get going with the DSLR.

So, so far - winging its way to me as we speak is....

Skywatcher 127 synscan GOTO

Celestron Power tank

Revelation eyepiece set

and Ive already got Canon 400D and (sorry just realised I didnt say what OS!) macbook pro with lion

Thats enough to keep me going for now I think!

And starfox Im a student nurse - I fear this is the last of my OTT spending for some time to come!

You should be able to get some good shots of the moon, although at full, it might not quite fit. You could mount the camera and a lens directly to the mount (you'll need a dovetail bar) and use it for widefield tracked imaging (it's not ideal but it'll work)... it'll be better than a static tripod. The Mak is a bit slow for deep sky as it's a bit slow.

The focal ratio of Maksutov optical systems like yours is too long for DSO imaging, long focal ratio scopes grasp light slowly and make tracking objects for long exposures very difficult, long focal ratio scopes are refered to as slow scopes, and short focal rato scopes are refered to as fast scopes as they grasp light quickly and tracking with these is much easier. Your single arm alt/az mount is going to be very challenging if you do decide to try long exposure DSO imaging because its not equatorial so you'll get field rotation plus the sturdyness isn't there, neither is the quality of the motors, so there will be a lot of tracking errors, however, I have seen the odd good image taken on these mounts after a lot of work by the owner, and as long as you limit your sub exposures to a maximum of 30 seconds you might get round stars on some of the images, which you can then stack in Deep Sky Stacker which is free to download.

Slow scopes are very good for planets because they give a narrow field of view and you can use them with very high maginifications, so you've got youself a good planetary scope their:) its not so critical about tracking accuracy for imaging planets because each image you stack is only tracked for a fraction of a second, so your mounts ok for planetary imaging.

oh yes, welcome to the NHS:)

Chris

• 5 months later...

What is a moon mosaic? When my EOS 600d connects to my Skywatcher 127, there is no camera lens on, and no telescope lens, so the moon just about fills the image on the camera. How would it be possible to get a higher magnification image of the moon on my camera?

Thanks.

James

Thanks jgs - But what do you mean by 'slow'?

Sorry I missed your reply, but starfox covered it. You could mount the SLR and lens on the mount itself, that'll allow you to shoot some widefields, worth a go.

James, a moon mosaic, would normally be shot with something like a webcam... take a look at ... http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/66552-making-a-lunar-mosaic/

Archived