budget eyepeices in fast scope

garethmob

with the idea of ggetting the coulter working it accured to me about eyepeices

at F4.5 what types of eyepeics are the best, this could be useful to alot of people as theres a lot of budget eyepeices out there as well as ones with green letters on them :)

what types of eyepeices are best for this fast a scope?

At the last meet Gaz i used Steve's 5mm BST Explorer in my 300p and i was very suprised i found it more pleasing to use than a 5mm BGO Plossl,but perhaps not as sharp edge to edge but in my opinion for the money its a bargain.That was at F5

what value do you place on a budget eyepiece Gareth?

I see used Televue Plossls and Baader Genuine Orthos as 'budget' as they are around £50. The image quality is far from budget though. both of these would work well with an f4.5 scope.

As Moonshane suggests, there are comparatively inexpensive EPs which perform well in fast scopes (I have a dirt cheap 20mm silver-top Plossl I got for the kids' 4.5" F/4.3 minidob which gives quite decent images). What you do not get for that kind of money is a large field of view. Budget (ultra/super) wide angles and fast scopes do not get along well.

Budget for me is the vixen npls loo so 30-40 iv got a 10 and a 32 then the standered 25 and a celsestron 6mm

I might take you up on that mat when iv got everything sorted. Finding trouble getting a tube in the size and thickness I want ATM:(. How much do televew plossles come to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what value do you place on a budget eyepiece Gareth?

I see used Televue Plossls and Baader Genuine Orthos as 'budget' as they are around £50. The image quality is far from budget though. both of these would work well with an f4.5 scope.

Thought I would jump in and say I bought a new tv plossl 8mm for my 8" f5 dob and found it very good. The only thing with short focus plossls is that you dont get much eye relief.

What size tube do you need gaz?

This is roughly what i measured

9.25 diameter

Wall: 1.2 thick

And

Length: 37.5 long.

Essex would only do 10" wide and 6mm thick. And the other company could only do10" too:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At F/4.5 and on a tight budget I think decent plossls / orthos are the only way to go. Anything budget and wide field is going to show astigmatism in the outer parts of the FoV to the extent that you might as well be using "standard" FoV eyepieces, in my view.

When you do get a well corrected wide field in there you will have coma to cope with too of course :)

Archived