Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope for Child

Hi

I have reently entered the world of Astronomy and am really enjoying it. My daughter (5) thinks it's great as well, and I want to nuture that interest in Astronomy and Science. Is it worth buying her a small telescope? I have seen this Sky Watcher Infinity 76 Deluxe 76mm (3") Newtonian Reflector kit or should I just let her share mine?

I have a Skywacther Skyhawk1145P.

James

its always amazing to hear these storys:)

i would personally go for somthing like this

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Heritage 76 Mini Dobsonian

its a tiny little bit more expensive (£5?) but it looks like a "proper scope" also its on a dob base so will get her used to using a bigger one in the future and alot eaiser to use

iv never used one of the 2 scopes though.

I've tried one of the Infinity 76's. Optically it's the same as the Heritage 76 and not too bad but the lack of a finder and the helical focus approach hamper it's usability, in my view. The Infinity does have an upright image so it can be used for terrestrial viewing.

The Heritage looks more like a "proper" scope as well and you get 2 eyepieces with it, which should earn it some brownie points :)

The Skywatcher Heritage 76 is available under a number of brands. Celestron names it "FirstScope" and I think Bresser has the same under a different name as well.

My son has the FirstScope. It did not come with a finder, but I put a reddot finder on it, although it is not very hard to aim the telescope on bright objects. He loves it. It won't take high magnifications though, I think the mirror is not parabolic on these, but only spherical. Might be wrong though.

For starting into the hobby, great scope, and dad can have fun with it too as a grab&go for holiday trips.

If the infinity have the same optics as the heritage, I'd go for the infinity if I'm getting this for a 5yrs old. It's designed for younger children while the heritage is for more mature kid.

Here are two demo videos of the two scopes

I would say go for a family scope e.g 130p or 200p so everyone can enjoy it and get some excellent views of the moon and planets and even DSOs.

If its just for her then I would go with the 76 good starter :) when I was looking for my scope I had a chance to have a peak At the heritage and was quite nice.

I decided big scope for all round viewing but also my nephew is starting to come to an age where he's fascinated at everything and as I'm single and have no kids I thought I would share it with him and also any of my family who wants to see as I know my mother is very interested in viewing some of those bright stars/planets in the sky.

Archived