Easiest Sight For An Ameteur To Find

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The planets Jupiter, Venus, Mars and Saturn would be the next easiest targets to find after the Moon.

The easiest deep sky objects to find would probably be the Orion Nebula (M42) and the Pleiades (M45).

Download Stellarium if you haven't already got it (it's free) to help you find them.

Jupiter is always nice, and an easy view. Venus is nearby too, though less impressive there is still something nice about it. Mars is difficult, it's unlikely you'l see much detail until after a few sessions, once you're eyes have got used to picking out tiny details in tiny objects.

Saturn is WELL worth a look if you can stay up late.

As for DSOs, M42 is impressive, and easy to find. M31 is quite bright with no moon in the sky, it can be a little challenging to find for a newbie, but rewarding because of that.

Hope you enjoy the scope. :)

The Orion Nebula would a great target next after planets plus several star clusters, Doubles,..as a newbie it never ceases to impress me with

all those stars hidden from atmospheric conditions. As conditions differ each night, you seem to discover something new! :)

Thanks is it the 1.25" 8mm BST Explorer Dual ED eyepiece?

Thats the one. The entire range is great, but i'd leave it a while until you figure out what lengths you like etc. the 8mm is a solid performer for planets every night. Some nights you'l be able to push more magnification, but rarely by much. For that reason, the 8mm is my favourite eyepiece.

You will need a wide (low MM) EP to enable finding your chosen object, Moon and Planets are not to bad, but DSO will be very difficult a quality EP will make a world of difference, size wise i would ask in the EP Forum..

Archived