Yes it would, you get what you pay for, the EQ2 is not a sturdy mount, my EQ5 shakes when I focus but a lot less than my EQ2 and I'm sure that an HEQ5 or NEQ6 would shake a lot less than my EQ5......and so on.....

You could try adding some weight to the tripod eg on on the spreader if its got one, or buy some vibration suppression pads. These might reduce, though not eliminate the problem. Alternatively, you could buy a skywatch auto focuser First Light Optics - SkyWatcher Auto Focuser it will stop you having to touch the scope when focusing.

Helen

hey helen, have you tried one of the autofocusers? what are they like for fine tuning the focus are they more sensitive (acurate i guess i mean) than the manual focus on the 200p? sorry for all the questions but it sounds like a good bit of kit if it works well.

Yes, I've got one. Personally I have mixed feelings. They are smooth to use and do make a lot of difference to the shakes. They are also great for imaging, as its much easier to focus electronically whilxe awatching a laptop screen. On scopes where I have a fine focuser and the shakes aren't an issue I prefer the 'feel' of actually focusing by hand. You also don't have to worry about what to do with the box!

They are relatively cheap though, and seem to sell quickly secondhand too, so you could try one and only risk £10/£15.

Helen

once the shaking stops , look through the ep ?? whats the problem ?? :)[/quote

Well, the problem is that you don't know when to stop moving the focuser because it's shaking!

I very much agree with Helen regarding the electric focusers. If you have to have them (as in imaging with a very long FL scope which will jig ten thousand lightyears to the left if touched!!!) then you have to have them. But at short focal lengths, even for imaging, I'd rather do it by hand. It may be a generation thing. I'm used to feeling machines, gadgets, devices etc with my fingers and this seems to get through to what remains of my brain better than information from a screen. In your case I'd upgrade the mount. A nice mechanical solution!

Olly

I use an autofocuser and it's been a Godsend as I have old, tired eyes and glasses so I can't focus easily so the wobbling made it impossible for me. If you can't afford a sturdier mount, this could be your answer.

thanks helen, i understand what you mean about feeling the focuser bu if i'm likely to et better results with an automated version then its worth a look and as you say they're not gunna bankrupt me. think i'll have a look for second hand.

Archived