Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ha filter with modded DSLR?

Beardy Bob

Hi folks. I've been using a modded 350d for DSO imaging for a while now and wanted to experiment with a Ha filter to see what things look like.

Whilst I appreciate the very poor response I'll get, I'm interested in what I'll pick up (and at best am hoping that I might see some finer lines and traces in certain DSOs akin to the narrowband images taken with CCDs).

Has anyone tried this before? And how do I go about adding a filter to my existing 'DSLR-adapter/extender-scope' setup? I currently don't use any kind of filter at all.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have used a 2" Baader Planetarium 30-35nm HA filter with a modded 1000D

NG7000_IC5070_Ha_DSS_V3_3_0_Mono_QS.jpg

I used to use it to grab some Ha on night when Luna was around...

I normally used to combine the Ha data with the OSC images...

NGC7000_IC5070_HaGB_QS.jpg

I am thinking of getting a Narrower BAndwidth (12nm) clip in filter as more and more of my imaging will be with Camera Lenses rather than scopes...

Peter...

Also interested in this as i'm looking fot a Ha filter for my 450D.

Not sure if i should go for the clip in filter or a 2"; the 2 inch would be useful for when I upgrade to a CCD, but then the clip in can be used with camera lenses :|

I have a 12nm Astronomik clip in filter for my modded 1000D. Works a treat and I love the images from it. The only issue is that it really is difficult to focus. Definitely a good thing to have in your arsenal for when the moon is about.

Minimum exposures I used to go for was 10 minutes, but more often 15-20 mins.

post-18339-133877744384_thumb.jpg

post-18339-133877744397_thumb.jpg

Wow Sara, nice pics, and those are some long exposures for an SLR !?

What focal ratio is the heart and souls nebula one taken at ? I can see from your flickr the other is taken at around f/6 ?

So hopefully with the quattro I could get a similar amount of data with a 10 minute sub.

I have the Astronomik clip in filter U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell which fits directly into the camera before attaching the lens or scope. Fit the camera to the scope in the normal way and ....... voila! The only thing with this is that if you are doing any widefield stuff you can not use EF-S lens's with it. Also, there's some camera's that it's not compatible with. The list is towards the bottom of that page I think.

You might be suprised how much response you get, here is the Spider and the Fly NGC1931 and IC417 with a Baader 7nm Ha filter on an UNMODDED Nikon D7000.....

ic417-ha.jpg

and here is NGC2244 with a 35nm Baader Ha filter using the exact same 480sec exposure I used for the RGB image on the unmodded D7000 (converted to B&W)

ngc2244-ha1.jpg

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

I Decided to go for the astronomik 12nm clip in filter,

Here's my first light with it, a single 10min sub (no flats or darks) of a chunk of the california nebula taken a few days ago. I'll get more use with it this week now that the moon is coming back around.

I'm very happy with this :blob10:; it should produce excellent results if I can get a good stack together. This is my first 10 minute exposure :o

bFcmRx

post-30914-133877753734_thumb.jpg

Good point on the OIII. I was thinking that myself actually! But I'm guessing that the most abundant emissions are Ha. Would be interesting to see if anyone has tried other filters with a DSLR. Maybe even a full hubble palette image!

Archived