NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cygnus Dust Lanes

Reprocess of an Oct 2011 image to try and bring out the dark dust lanes in Cygnus.

Edit- a smaller image showed the dust structure better, and try squinting- larger scale dust structures seem to leap out!

DSCF3179_stack_003_800.jpg

Single 180s sub, ISO800, Nikon 50mm lens @ F4, Fuji S5 Pro Camera

Very nice. The stars look good right to the edges, is this due to stopping down?

I see what you mean about squinting!

Stopping down always gets you sharper edge of field stars- so even though this is a fast f1.4 lens, stopping down to F2, f2.8 or even F4 is required for nice stars at the edges. The downside is increased exposure time.

Squint effect- I'm wondereing if there is a way to digitally process for the same result. Any ideas anyone?

There is a heck of a lot of stars in that image, it's quite amazing just how many nebulae there is, we have a very busy galaxy. Great image, a lot to look at! It's one of those images that I tend to spend a lot of time looking at. :)

I still am Sam. Been here for three days now..... :)

Seriously, I know what you mean. A star field like that draws me in. An astounding image OP.

If you struggle, don't ever sign up to download and analyse any of the recent ESO imagery. You'll be gone for weeks. :hello2:

Cheers

Ian

Archived