NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Next meet 24th March

Matthew

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
popped over to cwmcarn on way home last night (its litterly half way between home and work)

and gave my bins ago and it was fantastic :) i havent seen so many stars since i moved to newport, some nights in newport i struggle to see orion there was a tiny bit of glare, but the mountin both sides hid most of it. i bet the higher carpark might be a litttle worse as higher up at half 10 there was the 2 sholders of orion just above the trees (betelguise ) polaris could be seen very well

this was at the lowest car park, where they lock after 9pm

i was there for about half an hour cruzing across the sky which was fairly limited (from bottem of cassiopia on one side)

id be interested in some where mid wales but it would have to be a not very often for me cos of the car and fuel :)

did any one try brecon mountain centre after?

I think last nights seeing was probably the best it has been for some time until the fog rolled in that was - just spent half an hour or so outside with bins- like you said Gareth more stars than I have seen for ages.

The sky at the Mountain Centre in Brecon I would guess will still be light polluted though obviously not as bad as further South. There was quite a bit of difference between Epynt and Brecon which is why I wondered if Usk Reservoir might fit the bill a little later on?

what do you mean by different?

i just google mapped them, i expected usk reservoir to be near usk for some strange reason.....lol their near llandovery and bwilth lol thas quite far

Different in that whilst driving through the Beacons you can still see an orange glow in the sky - at Epynt you can't - I honestly have never seen so many stars in my life- was the first time I've seen the Milky Way to be honest.

I work in Newport Gareth - so half an hour to where I live then perhaps another hour and a bit - it is a way I'm the first to admit but to get to dark skies from S Wales you have to travel so its probably a once or twice a year thing perhaps. (I thought Usk reservoir was near Usk aswel :0) )

Well the weather for the 24 th looks excellent clear skies with low winds.Pete has agreed to meet anyone at ASDA's car park.I wont be able to give a weather update on the day because i will be at lucksal but i hope you have a great night and i look forward to seeing you all in April.

Got an "unwell" car at the moment and was hoping it would be fixed by the weekend, but looking like next week now, anywho....it's still drivable (just not as quick) so will try to make it but will need to meet at asda, will let you all know saturday if i can make it.

If you copy and paste this location into Google maps it will show you exactly where we will be

51.790435,-3.069627

However if you have a problem with that we can always arrange to meet you somewhere near to there and guide you in

Pat

When you pass the cattle grid keep you eyes open for the turn off on the right.Ive just popped home to pick my son up from school and then im heading back to lucksall, i hope you have a good observing session.

Archived