Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to store/carry a large scope?

I've just purchased the SkyWatcher 150PL which is a MUCH bigger scope than my old 4.5" reflector. I could store and carry my old scope in a large backpack but the 150PL is 1.2m long!

I can see it being a real hassle to transport this scope in and out of the house, let alone to a dark sky location.

My wife is a bit concerned as we live in a small terraced house and are expecting our first child in May. I used to keep my old scope in the spare room which has now been turned into a nursery so I can't keep the scope in there. I'm thinking we should look to move into a bigger house just to accommodate the scope :)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Rgr the new house, find a nice dark site, south facing garden, with views east and west, failing all that do you have a outside shed that's a good a place as any to store the scope, cuts the cooling down to to nearly nothing....

The storage box is a good idea. Though I would worry about the outside conditions damaging the scope, if that's possible. Moisture, perhaps?

Just had a look on B&Q's website and they sell an outside storage box for £40, which isn't too bad. It is 1.18m, though which is 2cm too small :)

From the looks of it you can get those Keter boxes from sellers on eBay. This one isn't too bad.

Is storing a telescope outside like this ok to do, though? I'd be worried about it succumbing to the elements. For example, I doubt these boxes are waterproof.

the storage shed is a good idea. I'd also have a check regularly to ensure the mirrors are not getting misted constantly. I made some 'shower caps' from garden weed matting material for next to nothing. they work very well indeed.

Ok, I see. But won't those vents end up letting rain in too? I can't imagine that would be good.

Should I also store the scope to it's sloping downwards? That way any moisture that happens to be on the mirror when I store it will run down the scope.

I'm seriously considering buying one of those boxes as they seem like the ideal solution to my storage issue. Not to mention how handy it would be to have my scope outside at all times, not having to wait for it to cool, etc.

EDIT: Also, while I think on, I've got a motor drive attached to the mount so I presume it wouldn't be safe to leave that outside in the storage box as it has motorised components? That would be more susceptible to the elements, wouldn't it?

Archived