Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dual-Axis D.C. Motor Drive for EQ3-2 Equatorial Mount

jasperuk

I bought some of these when i go the scope last year and its worked fine for tracking even still got the same set of batteries from new, the only thing i dont understand if it has 4 buttons on the controller but only 2 do anything.

I cant remember of hand if its the RA or DEC that works but either way should both work or only one, they are both plugged in and wired up to both motors :)

The little light in the middle does change colour when any button is pressed so i know they work...

I is me have i done something wrong ????

post-25369-133877741478_thumb.gif

It could be the cables or the motors. Try temporarily plugging the DEC cable into the RA motor and the RA cable into the DEC motor and see which motor runs. It won't harm anything.

If that doesn't make any difference it could be a bad control box.

John

If the LED is changing colour (to solid red, AFAIR) when you're pressing the buttons, I'd first listen to the motors to see if they're making a noise (you'll need to get your ear close). With the left hand switch on N or S the RA motor should be audible all the time. Setting the right hand switch to 8x and then pressing either of the DEC buttons should mean you can hear that motor.

If you can't be sure, remove the motors and connect them up off the mount. use a bit of plasticine or blu-tak to fix a short length of wire or a straightened out paper clip across the spindle of each motor as a pointer and see if you can see them turning.

If you have the right hand switch set to 1x and press the left RA button (I think) the motor should stop turning. That isn't a fault.

James

• 3 weeks later...

I have also just bought a Skywatcher 150PL EQ3-2 (second night tonight and saw Jupiter and four moons!), and had the same problem, the Dec buttons did nothing. Sorted out the problem, the cogs for teh Dec had a clutch nut that I hadn't tightened enough. Tightened it and now it all works like a dream!

Make sure the clutch nut is tightened on the DEC axis. It's easy to forget sometimes! It's the silver colored bit above the brass cog that the motor connects to.

Also, because the DEC motor uses cogs to drive the mount (which the RA motor doesn't) there can sometimes be a bit of backlash and a few second delay before you notice the motor moving trough the eyepiece.

Hope that helps and let us know if you manage to sort it.

• 1 month later...
I bought some of these when i go the scope last year and its worked fine for tracking even still got the same set of batteries from new, the only thing i dont understand if it has 4 buttons on the controller but only 2 do anything.

I cant remember of hand if its the RA or DEC that works but either way should both work or only one, they are both plugged in and wired up to both motors :D

The little light in the middle does change colour when any button is pressed so i know they work...

I is me have i done something wrong ????

If I am not mistaken, the light changes to indicate a variance in tracking speeds. It should be ccw and cw for tracking directions and the other two for different speeds like 1x, 2x, 4x, etc,etc. Mostly de DEC motor won't move much as is the RA the one that makes the most work. Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

Archived