Venus transit help.

Hi All

I was going to have a vote on what others would do if they were in my boat.

If the Great British weather plays ball I'm hoping to both visually observe the Venus solar transit and immortalise the event using either webcam or a-focal.

I was not sure which to focus more on doing. I have a 8" newt which is impractical to make a full aperture mask for so I will be using the 2" stopper in the dust cap. I also have the 4" frak which I intend to either make or buy a full aperture mask for. While I can use the 8" newt successfully visually stopping down to 2" I will be loosing the resolution that the larger 4" frak would offer visually. But if I capture the event using a webcam (approx 6mm FL) the extended FL of the 2" stopped 8" newt means I will only capture a small portion of the sun where as I would get far better FOV in the 4" frak.

So would you rather go with a far better visual experience in the 4" frak and sacrifice the bigger picture using the webcam in the stopped 8" newt or capture the better images of the event for future enjoyment in the 4" frak putting up with less than ideal views visually in the 2"/8" newt ?

I hope this makes sense ;)

So would you rather go with a far better visual experience in the 4" frak and sacrifice the bigger picture using the webcam in the stopped 8" newt or capture the better images of the event for future enjoyment in the 4" frak putting up with less than ideal views visually in the 2"/8" newt ?

I hope this makes sense ;)

Why don't you do both?

Like Kheldar I made a "full" aperture mask for my 10" dob. I used a single sheet of Baader solar film and cut a hole in a cardboard hat box that was as big as I could cover with the film. So it's nowhere near full aperture (its approx 8" across the aperture) but allows me to view the suns disc in great quality.

My biggest problem is finding a clear eastern horizon with a view of 0-8 degrees ;)

I think your best bet will be the 4" with full aperture solar filter, this will serve you well after the event and will be enough aperture to record any details visible at the time. The Sun's elevation at the time would probably negate any advantage that the 8" might have had. You should be able to record a full disk image and a closeup for posterity. Good luck. ;)

Where are you thinking of viewing it from SB? Like you i am going to be stuck in the UK, so i am thinking that i will head to some cliffs on the Yorkshire coastline from Manchester.

Where are you thinking of viewing it from SB? Like you i am going to be stuck in the UK, so i am thinking that i will head to some cliffs on the Yorkshire coastline from Manchester.

Thanks Imarcs you answered the question for me in one go. 4" Frak with full aperture filter and I will have to go with Jules suggestion of A-Focal. I happened to overlook what time the transit was happening ;) 05.06 BST will have the transit almost done from my location at only 1' off the horizon. Looks like I will be taking a holiday at the in-laws sea side caravan in Skegness. I have watched a couple of sun rises over the English channel so although it will be low I will not have to worry about buildings and everything else getting in the way. I'm surprised there hasn't been mention of a mini Star party up on a hill some where. Get in a nights observing and see the Venus transit in the morning before packing up and setting off home. There must be someone on the lounge who knows someone who lives up on a deserted mountain side ;) What's the altitude of the Peak district ?

Yeah i was thinking very similar. Skeggy or Whitby. I was even thinking a beachfront promenade or pier would be suitable, but then carrying gear from the car would be a pain maybe. A cliff would be nicer. I was going to start a mini star party thread but I'll do it after SGL7.

I actually believe a sunrise transit over an unbroken horizon will be the best views of it to see, and getting some great shots just makes it a nice challenge :-).

Yeah i was thinking very similar. Skeggy or Whitby. I was even thinking a beachfront promenade or pier would be suitable, but then carrying gear from the car would be a pain maybe. A cliff would be nicer. I was going to start a mini star party thread but I'll do it after SGL7.

I actually believe a sunrise transit over an unbroken horizon will be the best views of it to see, and getting some great shots just makes it a nice challenge :-).

I was thinking along the same lines but on the Essex coast and I agree with the idea about mini star party threads. It would be good to share the experience and get input from people who actually know about proposed locations.

If it helps I used google maps on satellite view to go along the coast line until I found a marina with a car park and a pub with a big car park right on the sea front ;)

Archived