Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

confirmation of orion nebula

scuffer

Can someone confirm I saw the Orion Nebula tonight , new to all this , used my planisphere to locate Orion and just happened upon it .... who needs a goto , it was a cluster of 4 stars with a greyish cloud around them , the cloud was bigger than the cluster and there was a line of 3 stars just above the cloud , other dimmer stars were present but couldn't describe their position

Also didn't realise how bad the LP was until I noticed the orange clouds tonight.

That sounds like Orion. 3 stars the belt. 3 stars virtical from first star (left) middle is the neb n it is greyish( but some people can see it greenish) with 4 stars called ye tripisium (spelling sorry:()

Well done. As u said who needs goto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like M42, the Orion Nebula to me. The 4 stars together are known as the Trapezium. Using low power and as dark skies as you can get you should be able to see the nebulosity extending further out in a sort of fan shape.

The 1st time I observed this object I used too much magnification and just saw the central part of the nebula and the Trapezium stars.

Edit: Gaz and I typing together there !.

Archived