Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon EOS 1100D Filter Removal

Gina

Sorry to see you too have had problems, you are right about the cable it is different to the one I have here, perhaps canon redesigned it due to engineers ripping it in the same way as you have whilst doing repairs etc.

Try giving canon UK a call tomorrow, they will most likely have a replacement part in stock, it might help them if you can email them the picture of the damaged cable.

I too would think that just having the display disconnected would not cause any harm to the rest of the camera, just remember not to let the smoke out as it won't work after that ;)

Danielle

;)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to see you too have had problems, you are right about the cable it is different to the one I have here, perhaps canon redesigned it due to engineers ripping it in the same way as you have whilst doing repairs etc.

Try giving canon UK a call tomorrow, they will most likely have a replacement part in stock, it might help them if you can email them the picture of the damaged cable.

I too would think that just having the display disconnected would not cause any harm to the rest of the camera, just remember not to let the smoke out as it won't work after that ;)

Danielle

;)

Thank you :)

I would tend to agree about the display and since the broken cable only feeds the LCD I'm wondering whether to connect the camera to the netbook as it is and see if EOS Utilities work (reassembling the back and connecting the blue cable first). OTOH I could just continue with the dismantling and remove the filters as planned and wait until I've got a replacement ribbon cable.

I've decided to carry on dismantling ATM. Here's the next stage - circuit board removed. No problem with the screws or connectors - all came apart easily ;)

1100D-07.jpg

Thank you ;) I should be able to get a replacement ribbon cable relatively cheaply. Or it may well be that it will work fine without the display. I am continuing with the job and am now at the filters. Photos to follow...

Well done for keeping going what an ordeal but it will all be worth it soon ;)

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Thank you ;) It went well mostly. I even got the front filter out without breaking it. The inner filter wasn't so lucky but that was for scrapping anyway. The two screws I couldn't get out were to take the front and top off to get at the top screw for the sensor unit but I was able to lift the top up enough to get at the screw. That was the only reason to take the front and top off.

I started the assembly process last night too. I'll post photos today.

IIRC you can also get the "display" on a video monitor via the video out connector if you want to check the camera functionality...

Peter...

Yes indeed ;) Thank you ;)

Another day and better luck let's hope.

I think you've done the very best anyone could given how it went initially.

There's no real rush, the fog seems intent on hanging around.

Take your time and get all that you can out of the otherwise irritating experience.

Have a good one!;)

That's very nice - thank you ;) Bit misty here but the sun's trying to break through. I don't think we'll get a clear night for a few days though. So no pressure on doing the camera ;)

This next stage was rather awkward and fiddly. Connecting the fibre optic cable to its connector on the main board. I used my 1.5mm fibre tipped tweezers to put the cable end into the hole in the white connector. I couldn't see the cable last night even with the ring light magnifier so left it until today in daylight. Then I did find it - it was tucked up in the top of the camera.

The two pin plug was no problem.

1100D-17.jpg

1100D-18.jpg

1100D-19.jpg

You could be right ;)

Right... It's all back together ;) No point in photos as these would be exactly like the ones I took when I took it apart. The connector H was difficult to get the ribbon cable into but I think I got it right in. The other awkward so and so was the blue back connector due to the ribbon's short length. I had to hold the two body parts just slightly apart and wiggle the ribbon into the connector. Then without breathing, press the clip down. It was also prone to come out again when I tried to put the back on and it took a couple of goes before I managed it. On very close inspection when putting it back together I still think taking it apart without damaging the display ribbon would be exceedingly difficult.

Anyway, it's all back together except for the battery and SD card.

Now I wondering whether to try it without the display connected - I left the ribbon cable unconnected. I thought that better than having some lines connected.

There are no parts left over, no screws left over and no holes without screws! :) The screw sheet with double sided adhesive tape to hold the screws worked brilliantly. Also, Gary's instructions were brilliant. Just a couple of differences with my camera. The 4 bottom screws on the back half are 2 short and 2 long. The orange ribbon cable is a different shape.

I'm think I might try it. There are very few occasions when not having a load on a circuit causes a problem and from experience I would think this is not one of them.

I'm leaving it for a while though ;)

Archived