NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon EOS 1100D Filter Removal

Gina

Well I have a Cisco lab here I am dismantling to put on ebay so should have the funds soon to buy some astro stuff so I'll consider the clip ins, but I know how easy these sensors are to damage so really want a protective glass in front, but for now I'll take my frustration out in battlefield3:evil6:

Danielle

;)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that is the PH000 from Amazon that you linked to earlier, then let us know how that turns out could you please? I've got a large hole in my kit where one or two of those sorts should be, I'd like to fill that with one soon! :)

Then I can have one last go at the xbox lens holder! It's eluded my attentions for now, but I will catch up with it, eventually. ;)

The screwdriver I linked to was/is a Phillips No.0 but after advice from Gary Honis I looked for a PH000 and ordered this set which contains one and look suitable for the job with decent handles :- Silverline 282445 6 Piece PZD and Phillips Screwdriver Set: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Yes, I shall certainly report how I get on ;)

I got as far as taking the back off. I was very careful - but not careful enough it seems ;) The back came off but the ribbon cables are extremely short and the bigger (orange) one has torn Yes, that's right - TORN. TBH it would have been very difficult to get in behind the back part to get at the cables without tearing it. It is a funny shape. The smaller cable just over an inch long pulled out of its connector and that seems undamaged.

Here's a quick photo :-

post-25795-133877739786_thumb.jpg

Regarding the screws, I got another out with the PH000 driver but another wouldn't budge so I tried the expensive no.0 one and that got it out. There are two other screws that seem to be glued in - I'll probably drill them out. Maybe.

I wonder if anything on the back part is actually needed when using full computer control via USB. I wonder whether having these parts disconnected would cause damage to other parts. I could do with the circuit diagram to check. Otherwise, I'm wondering if I could repair the ribbon cable.

Anyway, I think I'll go on dismantling - when I've calmed down ;)

You could call Advanced Camera Services Advanced Camera Services

acs_2005@btconnect.com

At this point, you are probably better off letting them do the mod and the repair. With any luck, they will have a spare ribbon cable. When I had to call upon their services after I bricked my 450D during a mod attempt, I realized that it came only about 50% over the price of the astronomiser service (and that's because I needed a new main board).

the glued screws come out but you need to go slow if nothing going to break carry on but if any thing looks like it will break or be damaged then stop. its more fear then anything i stopped for an hour had a break then came back.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Just checked the 1100D photos in Gary Honis's instructions and mine is different. The cables to the back are much shorter and the blue one is narrower. The orange one is coiled with sharp right angle corners - that's where it tore.

Oh well... £280 will buy a refurbished one from Tesco. If still available when I can afford it. The SteelTrack has just vanished over the horizon... ;) I expect a spare part would cost more if it were available.

Who knows - I might just get it working. I don't want it as a manually working camera - just the parts needed for AP. I could even put it in another case with TEC cooling direct to sensor back.

Sat here in stunned silence. ;) Stuck for a sensible thought. Condolences obviously.

I bet you find a way.

Can it be that the stuff it is hooked to is for rear display only?

If so does it have AV out done another way? (Is it called live view in Canon parlance?)

Does it need one working for the other to work, or could they be independent?

Best I can do off the top of my head.

Thank you you all very much for your replies ;) Too many to answer individually ;)

The spare parts are a lot cheaper than I thought :) I've looked through the site linked to above but can't find the right part for my model. I'll email them perhaps.

I'm wary of trying the camera without the back connected in case it causes damage. It probably wouldn't but not worth the risk I think.

Thank you you all very much for your replies ;) Too many to answer individually ;)

The spare parts are a lot cheaper than I thought :) I've looked through the site linked to above but can't find the right part for my model. I'll email them perhaps.

I'm wary of trying the camera without the back connected in case it causes damage. It probably wouldn't but not worth the risk I think.

Email them with that photo, similar parts for other cameras seem to be less than £20 so fingers crossed for you.

I've taken the back apart and taken a couple of photos. The orange ribbon cable connected only to the display and speaker. All the switches connect to the blue cable.

The third photo shows the LCD disconnected from the ribbon cable. There are some resistors or capacitors on the ribbon or "flex circuit" but no chips. So the orange cable connects to the LCD screen and speaker but does nothing else.

1100D-04.jpg

1100D-05.jpg

1100D-06.jpg

Archived