Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best cheapest place camera lens

garethmob

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be very careful where you buy camera gear from over the internet. I soon found out there are a LOT of bogus camera stores. Most you can tell at checkout as they ask for bank transfers and other none refundable payment methods. There are also others with fake payment sections that are used to get your card details. These again ask for more than the usual details like DOB. Searching the net for reviews of a site usually reveal the bogus sites for the legitimate ones. But the obvious signs are usually lower than the norm prices. These are to lure people into happily handing over their credit card details in the thought they are getting a great deal. I have shopped the internet for many years with no problems but I found camera gear seems to have a lot of scam sites.

I am currently in the process of ordering one from here - their internet ordering system seemed to have a bug - emailed them about it and waiting for it to be fixed. If you can wait a few days, I will update as I hear more. I have not used them previously, but the price looks quite good!

buyer beware! how come they are not charging VAT? have you google mapped the address? If the prices are too good to be true they generally are. £46 for a £77 lens rings my bells

buyer beware! how come they are not charging VAT? have you google mapped the address? If the prices are too good to be true they generally are. £46 for a £77 lens rings my bells

??

OK, it quotes the price excluding VAT (greyed out) and then immediately below that it says "Price with VAT £54.91" (the red colour is from their page). Also, when you click "add to basket", the price total is the including VAT price.

Isn't it quite common for businesses to quote both prices, but to do the final VAT calc at checkout time to avoid rounding errors on large orders?

That said, I am also rather cautious when dealing with companies that appear to be charging very low prices. But as long as I use my credit card (and don't provide any 'additional' details not normally requested) I will have the credit card protection if something goes wrong.

??

But as long as I use my credit card (and don't provide any 'additional' details not normally requested) I will have the credit card protection if something goes wrong.

9 times out of 10 these people aren't interested in your money but more so in your identity. Credit card details, name, address for delivery is all they need. Some will ask for DOB but this often arouses suspicion. Crooks do this for a living and they do it well. Most people aren't aware their ID has been stolen until the poo hits the fan. I agree with Tony £56 sounds too good to be true. The cheapest I could find was £70 delivered and that was from HK.

OK, just done a check that makes me MONUMENTALLY SUSPICIOUS.

They say they are a trading name of "The Camera Store Limited", with company number 06576432. When I plug this number into the Companies House website, I get the right name, but an address in Richmond TW9, as opposed to the address given on their website. Sounds like they are trying to ride behind a genuine company.

SNEEKY.

Fortunately, because the website broke when I tried to put my card details in, I never got that far, so there shouldn't be a problem. The only 'extra' information I had to give on my registration was my phone number - they have my mobile, but I am quite capable of keeping people hanging on at mobile rates if they start making 'weird' calls. Also an email address, but as it was set up specifically for the registration, that can be erased from my account without any problems.

Are you sure you didn't put any bank details into the site before you had problems. I ask as some scam sites have key loggers. The idea is that the purchaser puts all their details in and the site then crashes. The purchaser then goes away thinking nothing of it as the transaction didn't complete and there is no suspicion to give reason to contact their bank cancelling cards. The scam site though has recorded all the imputed information.

Are you sure you didn't put any bank details into the site before you had problems. I ask as some scam sites have key loggers. The idea is that the purchaser puts all their details in and the site then crashes. The purchaser then goes away thinking nothing of it as the transaction didn't complete and there is no suspicion to give reason to contact their bank cancelling cards. The scam site though has recorded all the imputed information.

Yes, just gone through the registration process again (entering a load of gobbledygook) and no mention is made of card details by the time I got thrown out. I am, however, doing an avast scan of my lappy to make sure there are no key-logging viruses installed. Quick scan reveals nothing. Will run an in-depth scan tomorrow - certainly before I try using it to purchase anything.

I feel I must apologize to Gaz, as this discussion about cameraect seems to have hijacked his original question. Can I propose that any further discussion on these *people* be continued on the other thread I have going specifically in relation to this company (http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/172316-cameraect.html) and let Gaz get back to his original question.

Will try not to hijack threads in future.

I think if anything it has highlighted just how careful you have to be when buying camera gear. I think the OP will appreciate this more than anything as looking for "best cheapest" could have easily have lead them there by themselves.

Here is where I got my nifty fifty BTW Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens f1.8 for 7D 5D 60D 600D 550D ~ Ship from UK ~ NEW (0082966212727) | eBay

Archived