Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SynScan Alignment Failure

I'm getting a bit exasperated with the 3-star alignment on my EQ-5 GOTO setup. and would appreciate some advice.

I bought a green laser pen to help me align the stars, which I used last night successfully through the finderscope. I chose Procyon, Dubhe and Betelgeuse from the stars offered and found them quickly and accurately. So I was quite surprised when I got the "alignment failed" message on the handset.

I tried again, this time using Denebola instead of Dubhe and it failed again!

Am I missing something obvious? I aligned the scope more accurately than ever before by using the laser. I have to say that alignment is is starting to put me off going outside....

Not sure if it helps but I only have trouble with 3 star alignment when I'm having blonde moments.

I spent two hours last week trying to work out why it wouldn't work before realising that I had Rigel and Regulus the wrong way round. I've also been known to enter the wrong date and time when tired :-(

I am also new to GOTO mounts and have had the similar problems the first few nights out, you start scratching your head when £900 mount cannot find the Moon?

Try 1 point alignment on a single star and build up from there.

Also try EQMOD and Cartes du Ciel

Not sure if it helps but I only have trouble with 3 star alignment when I'm having blonde moments.

I spent two hours last week trying to work out why it wouldn't work before realising that I had Rigel and Regulus the wrong way round. I've also been known to enter the wrong date and time when tired :-(

Wouldn't surprise myself being that daft lol, I've certainly done it before. :(

I had my iPad app at the ready making sure I got the right stars. Also got my husband to give assistance. Don't think I made such an obvious mistake this time. :D

I am also new to GOTO mounts and have had the similar problems the first few nights out, you start scratching your head when £900 mount cannot find the Moon?

Try 1 point alignment on a single star and build up from there.

Will give it a go in 1 or 2-star alignment modes next time. Keep thinking it can't be as accurate if I do it that way lol.

EQMOD looks quite advanced, but I'll certainly look into it. :)

That's how I cured my 3 star alignment failures in the end, although it may not be an option for the OP.

It's a common enough problem and it's frustrating because you may be doing nothing wrong. It's been a while since I used the handset, but I just used to do 2 star alignments.

That's how I cured my 3 star alignment failures in the end, although it may not be an option for the OP.

It's a common enough problem and it's frustrating because you may be doing nothing wrong. It's been a while since I used the handset, but I just used to do 2 star alignments.

Nice to know it's not just me and that other folks have found it troublesome.

Makes a bit of a mockery of GOTO being easy. I'm sure a lot of beginners sadly give up on the hobby when it seems this hard to do a basic alignment.

Hi Astromum,

Firstly I do get alignment fails but they are very few and far between.

The process I use is:

Polar align the mount.

Put the scope into its home position (Weight bar vertical and the scope pointing north).

Enter my site lat/long details.

Enter the time and date (Check the year I have been running in 2011 until recently).

Begin the 3 star alignment process.

The first star pointing accuracy is dependant on the accuracy of the data you input and the amount of cone error (This is what 3 star removes).

Get the star to the centre of the EP FOV (Use the lowest power you have available) using the hand controller.

Then select your second star and repeat. Again the accuracy is dependant upon the data entered and cone error.

Then repeat for the 3rd star wich should be fairly close to the centre.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Phil. :) That's pretty much what I do, though I haven't properly polar-aligned yet.

I will double check that I'm inputting the right year though - how embarrassing would that be if I'd got it wrong all this time! :p

You don't need to do an acurate polar alignment. Getting polaris in the centre of the polar scope is more than good enough for visual, but you do need to be polar aligned for the alignment and goto to work.

Also I would recommend reducing the mechanical cone error on one of those far from perfect observing nights, it makes the alignment so much easier.

Hmmm.. you could be onto something there. I have occasionally moved the scope manually and could well have messed something up. Would make sense in that I used to have far better luck with alignment than I do now.

Bit too tired to fiddle about with it this evening, but will definitely look into it before my next proper observing session.

• 11 months later...

Archived