Some simple advice please

I was last really into astronomy back in my early teens. I'm now 42 and married with 2 children. My youngest daughter is nearly 6 and has taken a keen interest in the stars. We often go out together and i will point out different constellations or stars that i have never really forgotten. I'd like to get a bit more serious about things and would appreciate some advice on what type of telescope i should be looking for.

Back in the 1980's i think there was a general rule about a minimum of 6 inch refractor or 8 inch reflector. never purchased one back then. Just made do with some decent binoculars.

I'm sure things have moved on considerably since then technology wise but i'm at a loss of where to start looking for my purchase.

I will stress i don't want to get too techie about it. I want to keep things as simple as possible. Just a good simple telescope and a map of the stars is all i' m after really. Preferably something strong enough to get a good glimpse of saturns rings when it's in the sky.

Help appreciated

Thanks

Hi, and welcome to SGL :D

Things like the Skywatcher 130 always get highly rated as started scopes by the likes of Sky at Night, not too expensive and simple to use. This would be a great start for looking at the planets, the moon and the bigger/brighter nebula like the one in Orion - M42.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130

If you want to get a bit more help there is a computerised version on an AZ mount

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO

Both will come with the basic accessories that will get you started.

If you want a scope that will be comfortable for a little girl to use I wouldn't get a Reflector. They can be unwieldy to use at the best of yimes due to where the eyepiece. I am sure it would be almost impossible for a little 6 yr old to starwatch safely.

Possibly think about a Maksutov or Schmidt if you don't want a refractor. Technology has moved on quite a way since you last. Refractor wise, now a widefield 80mm ED or something like the SW 102mm would be ideal starter scopes

For Saturn you will need to get a magnification of 100x at least. 120x would be better.

The 130p reflectors should manage this, but in Dobsonian form your girl may take some time to get the idea of using one.

The Maks at 102mm are an alternative, but they have a narrow field of view. Just makes getting things in sight a pain in the rear. Also things drift out of view unless motorised.

Refractors, for 100-120 you need something like the evostar 90, preferably the 102. Just not cheap - £300 with mount but no motors. There is also the StarTravels range, easy to use but being Achro and short they have chromatic aberation (colour around bright objects).

How do you feel on a goto, again like the ST scopes short so expect some CA. Thinking of the Meade ETX-80, main concern is will it get to 100x or 120x. Should get 100x biut not sure of 120x

The one to me is the Evostar 102, although the Evostar 90 at £235 on EQ3-2 shold do what you want.

Check the UK Astro Buy and Sell site, may be a used one available.

If you go for a 130 get the P model for the parabolic mirror. If budget allows then the 150PL. Reflectors need collimating so budget a collimator in and a 5mm eyepiece - £75-80. You will want both within a month,:D:eek::(

I think the general rule was a minimum 3" refractor or 6" reflector. The reflector minimum may have stemmed from the fact older, non-coated, mirrors quickly lost their reflectivity. A modern 6" reflector will show you a lot. I've got a friend with a small girl (I'd guess she's around 8) who takes her star gazing with an 8" Orion Inteliscope Dob. She has no problems using it if he does the pointing.

I like the idea of reflector personally but if my daughter is going to struggle with it i will go for a refractor. Can you explain what the difference between the different mounts is. ie:EQ-2 EQ-3 etc

Could somebody suggest a good book with all this stuff and more in it for the beginner.

My little girl likes a refractor or a mak, as the eyepieces are low down. She does try the big dob but finds the eyepiece high up.

A smaller dob overcomes this problem and the point and shoot style of a dob is perfect but I would avoid a reflector on a EQ mount as the eyepiece is too often out of the reach of little ones.

A lot will depend on how well she takes to a reflector - Dobsonian mounted, it might come easy. Would help if we knew where you are, there are a few clubs around and one may be easily accessable.:D

Often point out you could be round the corner from me and I have 5 scopes that I could let you try. But I don't know.:):D

EQ2 EQ3-2 are both equitorial mounts, the 3-2 is bigger then the 2.

Basically in increasing size and load they can handle:

EQ2, EQ3-2, EQ5, HEQ5, EQ6.

The HEQ5 and EQ6 are big.:(:eek::):eek::):eek:

A lot will depend on how well she takes to a reflector - Dobsonian mounted, it might come easy. Would help if we knew where you are, there are a few clubs around and one may be easily accessable.:D

Often point out you could be round the corner from me and I have 5 scopes that I could let you try. But I don't know.:):D

EQ2 EQ3-2 are both equitorial mounts, the 3-2 is bigger then the 2.

Basically in increasing size and load they can handle:

EQ2, EQ3-2, EQ5, HEQ5, EQ6.

The HEQ5 and EQ6 are big.:(:eek::):eek::):eek:

Thanks for the advice capricorn. I live in Aylesbury Buckinghamshire. I was interested in the mounting question as i have seen the evostar 90 on a EQ2 mount for about 100 quid cheaper than the 3-2. I was just wondeing what difference it would make.

my 6/7yr old son always got on really well with the 6" dob. he stood on a chair. there's a lot to be said for a scope you can just pick up and plonk outside. and at F8 I collimated it once and it's never needed it again. the mount's also dead stable, compared to a cheap frac which will wobble all over the place.

There's a book i've just found on Amazon called the Backyard astronomers guide. It looks very good. I will have a look through to get a bit of a better grounding before committing to buy a particular make and model i think. Has anybody read this book?

Yep, great book for a general view of all things astronomy.

my 6/7yr old son always got on really well with the 6" dob. he stood on a chair. there's a lot to be said for a scope you can just pick up and plonk outside. and at F8 I collimated it once and it's never needed it again. the mount's also dead stable, compared to a cheap frac which will wobble all over the place.

Can you give a particular make and model of 6 inch Dobsonian? Also i have no idea what collimated or F8 is referring to! Sorry.

skywatchwer skyliner dobsonian. F8 is the focal length (length of tube divided by aperture of primary mirror). Longer focal length scopes are much less demanding in terms of collimation so you don't have to do it very often (or very accurately). collimation is basically making sure the two mirrors are lined up.

skywatchwer skyliner dobsonian. F8 is the focal length (length of tube divided by aperture of primary mirror). Longer focal length scopes are much less demanding in terms of collimation so you don't have to do it very often (or very accurately). collimation is basically making sure the two mirrors are lined up.

Ahh the mist is clearing:icon_confused: Thanks

From personal experience with 2 youngsters myself, I would go for a 127 Mak on an AltAz GOTO. If you lower the mounts legs right down and sit the little ones behind it on a chair it's at an excellent height for them to see through the EP. The scope is a good performer on the planets & solar system and also very capable with brighter DSO's. As it's a slow scope it's also forgiving for cheaper eyepieces.

Hi, and welcome to SGL :D

Things like the Skywatcher 130 always get highly rated as started scopes by the likes of Sky at Night, not too expensive and simple to use. This would be a great start for looking at the planets, the moon and the bigger/brighter nebula like the one in Orion - M42.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130

If you want to get a bit more help there is a computerised version on an AZ mount

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO

Both will come with the basic accessories that will get you started.

I have to say those scopes look very reasonable. I've also seen the Skywatcher 130p heritage which looks very nice for the money. This is looking favourite at the moment. Do you have any views on this one?

Archived