finderscope question

a Telrad / RDF is a x1 magnification tool and therefore you can only see the brightest stars and locate the naked eye targets. this is fine for things like M31, orion nebula etc but there are few naked eye targets when there's any light pollution.

therefore I find initial placement with the telrad and fine tuning with a 9x50 right angled finder works best for me. it also allows finding bright doubles and planets etc at higher powers without having to change eyepieces. e.g I can find brighter doubles at 300x magnification with the eyepiece staying in the focuser when using both types of finder.

I find it very difficult to find anything even in a finderscope unless i am convinced that i'm looking at the right place. The RDF does that for me.

Edit - Which is exactly the same as what Moonshane says - oops.

I think the Telrad is better but I also have a Baader Skysurfer 3 which is pretty good. it's just a dot though, no circles. very light and has a height of 4.5 inches above the tube wall on a standard finder shoe. I am taking off the telrad base on my 6" and using the SS3 instead; just works better on that scope. have used it on my school astro astro club's 8" dob and worked a treat.

Archived