Modded 350D + !35mm Lens - 27-06-07 - PLEASE MOVE INTO IMAGING

jcm

Just thought I would try an easy route to wide field imaging. Stuck a 135mm lens ( f4) on to the 350D , mounted it on the telescope , took 30 X 1 min images at 200 iso. Aimed at Deneb , bright star in this image.

Did notice a band running across the bottom left corner of the image. I am not sure what this is.

Edit - probably pushed the processing a bit

added full image

John

post-13061-133877329021_thumb.jpg

post-13061-133877329028_thumb.jpg

How nice is that... 8)

Goes to show you can get great results using the

easiest of methods :wink:

Please move into imaging section

Thanks for the comments Philip. I hope with the extra aperture of the main scope I should be able to get better colour and detail. Still not sure about the band line lower left - but it has not appeared in other images with the modded 350D. After further checking it is present in all of them.

John

There's not much that is better than a widefield full of stars exposure John. Whenever I see images like yours projected on a big screen, they just make my neck hair stand up. I always get such a perception of the immensity of what is all around us.

I do like that a lot, and I would love to see more on the forum. Although there is a bit more latitude taking images of this kind, you still have to get everything right. You did that OK.

Ron. :wink:

Wonderful image! Can I borrow your clear sky a while, I'd like to give it a go. I'll let you have it back...promise! :wink:

CW

You certainly can , its now clouded over in Peterborough and the chance of clear skies in the next few days looks slim :cool:

I have just been checking my images. All images taken after the modding have 3 black band lines at about 45 deg across each image. I did not notice them with my first lunar image because it fitted neatly between 2 of the lines. If you stretch my images in the first post above you will see them. They are in the same place each time. I hope this is not going to be a serious problem to solve :?

John

On close examination of the image I can see the darker line in the bottom left corner although against the red background it doesn't leap out at you and doesn't detract from the overall image.

However and I hope you don't mind,I had a further look in PS and see what you mean about there being three 'lines' on the frame. On a reversed image you can see what look like 'cat scratches' at, as you say, 45 deg. angle across the frame. Most odd!

Perhaps there is a flaw with the 135 lens or do you get the same result when using the camera attached to the scope? I assume you 'cleaned' the CMOS chip and lens then tried again but still get the same 'lines'.

CW

On close examination of the image I can see the darker line in the bottom left corner although against the red background it doesn't leap out at you and doesn't detract from the overall image.

However and I hope you don't mind,I had a further look in PS and see what you mean about there being three 'lines' on the frame. On a reversed image you can see what look like 'cat scratches' at, as you say, 45 deg. angle across the frame. Most odd!

Perhaps there is a flaw with the 135 lens or do you get the same result when using the camera attached to the scope? I assume you 'cleaned' the CMOS chip and lens then tried again but still get the same 'lines'.

CW

Thanks for your comments. I looked at the sensor ( or is it the filter on the sensor?) and the scratches are present.I could see them easily with my eyes. I am sending the camera back to Andy for a check up.

John

Just to update everyone , the marks were not scratches , more like smear lines during manufacture. Andy at Astronomiser has taken the camera appart and cleaned off the offending marks. If we get any clear nights I hope to have another go.

John

Archived