Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10th Kielder Forest Star Camp - Northumberland

Dixie

Bookings are now open for this event which takes place from 10 - 15 October 2012 in the dark Borders between England and Scotland. This is the tenth anniversary - hard to believe!

The main day will be Saturday 13 October at Kielder Castle and is free. We'll have talks and vendors, including Green Witch, Ian King, Astronomica and a few more besides.

If you want electrics and hard standings please book early.

More info and booking instructions at Kielder Forest Star Camp

Clear Skies.

Richard

Starcamp picture gallery: http://bit.ly/rgjnwF

Image attached: Milky Way and Jupiter by Mike Dickson, Oct 2011 Kielder.

post-12948-133877736222_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Only 4 more sleeps before we go to Kielder! Looking forward to seeing you all there, plan is to have a go at some planetary imaging with my Toucam if I can get it working with my laptop! And we have a new tent with plenty of 'entertaining space' in case the clouds roll in...

With any luck we'll be there...with new bairn in tow! But we've taken a cottage as the little miss (or fella) will prob only be two weeks old!

If we're late...there may be a cottage going cheap!

With any luck we'll be there...with new bairn in tow! But we've taken a cottage as the little miss (or fella) will prob only be two weeks old!

If we're late...there may be a cottage going cheap!

Congratulations guys, definitely wise to take the cottage, I would not fancy camping in October with a baby.

Yes, just booked autumn. Would have liked to do Spring, but the guy I was supposed to be going with forgot all about it and turned out I had to go to a conference anyway.

PS I hope 'Pop master' refers to our popular music quiz, not the amount of 'pop' drunk!

Hahaha...yes the music quiz. Was very funny to listen too.

We'll be there all week but looks as though we might have to leave on the Saturday as our cottage is sat to sat and I'm not sure we'll be up for a night in a tent with the bairn. So get ready guys...that's gonna be a corker of a night! ;)

OMG...well done!

Maybe I should offer alternative pitches at the cottage...(but only in exchange for nappy changing!)

I'm already looking forward to Autumn...how sad is that!

• 2 months later...

I will be there, first Star Camp - first Star anything in fact as I have just recently bought my 'scope. I will most definitely be the 'new boy' and I hope to come away having learned lots. I will be there with my brother who will be travelling up from Suffolk, picking me up in Darlington and then we will be chugging our way there in his VW camper. Looking forward to the event. :cheesy:

• 2 months later...

Kielder Forest Star Camp is now full.

But the Main Day on 13 October (trade stands/talks) is free to all comers! Takes place at Kielder Castle, Northumberland, from 11am to 4.30pm.

Many thanks for your continued support.

You can see a images from the Spring event here: http://bit.ly/TdLhjg

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

I know the campsite is full, but can I stay at another, say in Bellingham, and just stay at The Star Party, but not sleep there?

James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There are B & Bs at a reasonable distance but Bellingham is a rather long trek away. There is a further complication that in the event of your car being on site when it gets dark, you'll be locked in. Yep, that's Locked. You can visit and leave the car a short distance away.

A pitch inspection will be done soon and the official email will go out after that.

No drop outs that I'm aware of yet.

Dave.

Update: Thursday, 4 October 2012

You will doubtless be aware that we've had a lot of rain recently, especially in the north east of England, which caused widespread disruption last week. We have been regularly checking the Kielder Campsite to monitor ground conditions.

As of today (Thursday, 4 October) many of the grass pitches are very wet and unusable - worst affected are those on the electric hook up side. Parts of the non-hook up field are marginally useable.

Hard standings, static caravans and hobbit hutches are unaffected.

The weather forecast from now up to the start of the event seems to indicate a relatively drier spell with high pressure building, so pitch conditions should improve, but they are still likely to be soft, and you need to be aware of this.

Star Camp will go ahead come what may and we will be doing another “pitch” inspection on Saturday. We will issue a further update to everyone booked in on Sunday. But if you do wish to cancel your booking we will issue a full refund. You may prefer to keep an eye on the weather and take a decision nearer the time. But we emphasise the event will go ahead. Needless to say, wellies/waterproof boots and a good groundsheet if camping are strongly advised.

Meantime, please drop me a line if there's anything I have not covered. Sorry for the uncertainty, but we are in the hands of the weather.

Clear skies,

Richard and the organising team.

Kielder Campsite Update Sunday 7 October

I’m pleased to say things are looking a lot better on the campsite regarding ground conditions. We carried out another inspection on Saturday and with more dry days forecast we don’t see any problems in the getting the event underway. Many of the grass pitches are now useable and we expect most to be ok by Wednesday. Tents, motorhomes and caravans were using the campsite (Kielder marathon weekend). There may be a couple of pitches on the hook up side that we need to avoid, but we have sufficient scope to shuffle tents around. A standard line of advice for camping at Kielder is to bring waterproofs and have a good groundsheet if using a tent.

Any more questions please get in touch.

Richard and the organising team.

Hi Richard,

Have there been any drop-outs & is there a reserve list?

I'd like to come along for 10-15/10/12 - one tent & no elec hook-up. I can come at short notice, but if it stays fully booked I think I'll just go to Galloway instead and be a Billy-No-Mates. This'll teach me to forget to book!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Archived