Solar Imaging for dummies

tnorthy92

Sometimes some of these threads go a little in depth so I just have a couple of queries of how to SAFELY do solar imaging.

Just want to check I have theory right (I use a DSLR)

Camera with filter on, or telescope with camera on, and filter over end of telescope. Will this bring out sunspots, or do I need another filter for that? Is this filter appropriate Baader Astro Solar Film A4

Also would taking pictures of the sun through welding glass work? My dad has some and we were discussing it earlier.

Welder's glass is designed for protection against UV and bright light arcs while welding, not for the sun.

They are not good optical quality.

The best and easiest solution for white light observering (sun spots etc) is the Baader Solar Film or a commercial solar filter.

Hi,

Just to be clear, I would buy a sheet of Baader solar film and make a filter (see their website for guide) and make it so that it fits on the end of your telescope. Also be sure it can't blow off. Then plug your camera into the eyepiece end and enjoy :D (don't put the filter on the camera unless you are just doing normal camera work - no telescope) You will see a solar disc with spots on (if there are any), if you get focus and exposure right you will also see faculae towards the limb and also limb darkening.

Regards

Alexandra

Follow the advice above from Merlin and Montana and you will be quite safe - just one extra - take the finder off the scope (or cover it with the lenscap) if you have one fitted. It could give you a nasty burn or the plastic components of the finder may melt if you allow the Sun's heat and light to get into it.

Archived