NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron vs Skywatcher - eyepieces

I'm currently looking at building up my eyepiece collection, and to be honest am completely flummoxed by all the choices. My scope is a Celestron Nexstar 6SE, so obviously I've been looking at the Celestron eyepieces. But there seems be a bigger range of Skywatcher eyepieces at a more affordable price.

This may be a stupid question, and I apologise if it is, but am I right in thinking that the Skywatcher eyepieces will work ok with a Celestron telescope? I'm still getting used to all the technical terminology around eyepieces and am feeling a bit overwhelmed.

I've got a 9mm Plossl eyepiece that I don't get on particularly well with (although I accept that this is pushing the telescope's boundaries) and a 25mm eyepiece that I am very pleased with. I'm looking at getting a couple of EPs between these (12-18mm).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I'm no expert on the mechanics of EP's but yes.................SW will work with Celestron. Pretty much any brand of EP works with any brand of scope.

Personally i use these with all of my scopes:

First Light Optics - Vixen NPL eyepieces

p.s.~~~i wouldnt think that a 9mm EP is pushing the boundries of the 6se.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Your Celestron 6SE is a f/10 scope so therefore its not so critical when it comes to eyepieces. In saying that other things need to be taken into consideration.

1) the amount of money you want to spend

2) eye relief especially if you want to wear glasses when viewing

3) field of view of the EP

There are some very good EPs which would be ideal for your scope - Hyperions (although they are now about £90), Celestron X-Cel LX (which are £69) - these have good eyerelief and a 60 degree FOV.

Lets us know you price band and we can recommend other EPs.

Mark

There are so many eyepieces to choose from. Some swear by certain types, some dont. For instance lots of people like the TMB planetary's, not me, so I think it comes down to a personal choice. Plossl's or super Plossl's (same thing) are the choice of many. I have heard only positives about BST Explorers I own a 18mm, and Vixen plossl's. GSO, Meade 4000, Skywatcher, Williams Optics, the list is endless. The best thing I think is to do some research of reviews and you can always ask for opinions on here regarding certain types of E.P. Oh and welcome to the Lounge.

Your Celestron 6SE is a f/10 scope so therefore its not so critical when it comes to eyepieces. In saying that other things need to be taken into consideration.

1) the amount of money you want to spend

2) eye relief especially if you want to wear glasses when viewing

3) field of view of the EP

There are some very good EPs which would be ideal for your scope - Hyperions (although they are now about £90), Celestron X-Cel LX (which are £69) - these have good eyerelief and a 60 degree FOV.

Lets us know you price band and we can recommend other EPs.

Mark

Thanks Mark. I'm looking at spending up to £50 per eyepiece at the moment. I don't want to spend mega bucks while I'm still learning really, and will probably get better eyepieces over time. I do wear glasses, but tend not to wear them when looking through the scope as I find it uncomfortable. Field of view is important to me, and I've found some Skywatcher wide FOV eyepieces which are very reasonably priced.

Thanks for your help,

Jane

Thanks Mark. I'm looking at spending up to £50 per eyepiece at the moment. I don't want to spend mega bucks while I'm still learning really, and will probably get better eyepieces over time. I do wear glasses, but tend not to wear them when looking through the scope as I find it uncomfortable. Field of view is important to me, and I've found some Skywatcher wide FOV eyepieces which are very reasonably priced.

Thanks for your help,

Jane

If you are considering getting several eyepieces, you should consider the 8-24mm Baader Hyperion Clickstop zoom. That one eyepiece has the potential of replacing an entire set of primes.

I'm looking at getting a couple of EPs between these (12-18mm)

Certainly get one between the 9mm and the 25mm (15mm is about right). Also a good idea to get something in the 30-32mm range. 32mm GSO's are really GOOD. they only have a 50 degree AFOV but honestly when you look through them you get lost in the majestic of the view.

post-18019-133877736017_thumb.jpg

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

• 8 years later...

I'm wondering if it is worthwhile trying different brands to appreciate their capabilities. I recently bought a 15mm svbony and it was a massive improvement to my budget refractor (Meade 102) in contrast and colour over the stock eyepieces. Svbony might not be the best brand but it's 68 degree field of view is impressive, and I will still use it. I might try a GSO 12mm, then later I might try a celestron x-cel 8mm.