Does aperture ever beat a dark sky?

This is why I never bother observing from home.

This is not suggesting I observe any less than anyone else. I just happen to think that driving to the nearest half decent site is worth the effort at any opportunity.

Yes I've had drives for nothing many times. I've even driven all the way to Salisbury plain (approx 2.5 hours away) only for it to cloud over, but hey ho! That's life. I only recently drove down to meet another SGL member for a nights observing, only to be clouded out. He was mortified and so apologetic. My thoughts were don't worry about it, it's not the first time and it sure won't be the last. Dark skies are worth the effort and if it was easy it wouldn't be a challenge.:D

Before anyone thinks the novelty will wear off, ive been doing this for years.

Good hunting and clear skies all

Regards Steve

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ya UHF - yeah this forum is fantastic you've got a really good take of the hobby on here - the dobs are fantastic value for money.

I found that a good Right Angled Correct Image (raci) finder and a set of charts (I have Sky Atlas 2000) really help as the view through the finder is what you see on the charts - really helps when finding your way around the sky.

The dobs can be set up in minutes compared to levelling tripods and polar aligning, but sadly my dobs gone now, take care and clear skies to you Paul.

I have not read all of this thread but i am of the opinion that a larger aperture scope in a LP'd area will never beat the views of a smaller aperture scope in a dark sky area.

I was once in a very dark sky location (at a wedding) and naked eye observing.............there were so many stars that i could not even see the main planets.

A bigger scope will give better views no matter how dark the sky is but a dark sky has the biggest impact on the overall viewing experience.

I went down the route of get the biggest scope I can a- afford, b- lift, c- fit in the car. Most of my observing is done from home, with a fair bit of light pollution or from outside the village hall where our astro soc meets, which is also fairly bright. I don't have the time or inclination to drive to a dark sight very often, but a couple of times a year I like to have the opportunity. I couldn't afford a truss tube 12" and probably wouldn't bother to set it up very often at home if the weather was iffy, so a solid tube 10" fit the bill for me.

This is not suggesting I observe any less than anyone else. I just happen to think that driving to the nearest half decent site is worth the effort at any opportunity.

Yes I've had drives for nothing many times. I've even driven all the way to Salisbury plain (approx 2.5 hours away) only for it to cloud over, but hey ho! That's life. I only recently drove down to meet another SGL member for a nights observing, only to be clouded out. He was mortified and so apologetic. My thoughts were don't worry about it, it's not the first time and it sure won't be the last. Dark skies are worth the effort and if it was easy it wouldn't be a challenge.:D

Before anyone thinks the novelty will wear off, ive been doing this for years.

Good hunting and clear skies all

Regards Steve

for sure matey! I admire your commitment - I am just a bit lazy :)

one thing I think we all agree on is dark skies are simply stunning no matter what you observe with.

Archived