rotating tube without messing up alignment

keep seem to mess up the alignment when i rotate the tube for eyepiece position for my vertically challanged wife,i slacken the holding rings and then rotate whilst trying to stop the tube sliding through the rings.

should you completly remove the tube or is there a better way

SW200pds on eq5

That shouldn't happen. How does the alignment hold up at different elevations without rotating the tube? The first thing I'd look at is the secondary. Is the spider tight? Are the adjustment screws for the secondary tilt reasonably tight? If they're loose you may see what you're describing. Ditto with the primary mirror. Could it be sliding in the cell?

I and other use a large jubilee clip sourced on e-bay, a 1 metre plastic measuring stick from most DIY store, so when the measuring stick is in position with the clip round it, it sits under the dome nuts on the tube ring, the only time it didn't work is like last night when the tube rings were frozen to the tube..:D

2012-01-26164107.jpg

astronomyshed on youtube has a video in which he uses a third ring fixed above the top ring securely, the 2 rings on the mount are then only loosely tightened so the tube can move freely. just don't tilt the scope downwards too far though. HTH.

just notised tinker1947's post, pretty much the same idea.

There was another thread along the same lines. Another cheap solution was to use an 8 inch embroidery ring in the same manner as the jubilee clip. I've also started using a small step ladder with my scope and that has made things so much easier and comfortable at the eyepiece.

yeah I think Tinker has it it covered that a future mod on my 250 its either that or I might add another tube ring to hold it in place with the same effect.

You will need to do some modding using another tube ring, the nut and bolt that are the hinge stick out and get in the way, my piece of plastic go under the bolt/nut head so it touches the tube ring all the way round...

• 1 month later...
You will need to do some modding using another tube ring, the nut and bolt that are the hinge stick out and get in the way, my piece of plastic go under the bolt/nut head so it touches the tube ring all the way round...

If its a Skywatcher ring the screw head are 9.4mm just drill the hole 9.5mm so the head drops down the hole and then no problem .I use 2 Embroidery rings or hoops as they call them on sewing sites . one either end so the tube cant fall out and they are painted black

Archived