Ghosting

I have a bit of an issue going on with ghosting.

I used Jupiter and Venus as my targets this evening and my results are as follows 25mm nothing, 18mm, nothing 12mm and 8mm both affected by nasty little dancing faeries.

Is that the kind of result you would expect to see or have I bought a dodgy 12mm and 8mm eps'?

I honestly can't remember if I had a problem with the baader zoom I had a month or two back or whether I am just getting a little tired of it. I was debating flocking my tube but now there is a suggestion of ep's could be at fault. I will pull my scope apart and flock it if I have to.

No honestly its none of those things. this has been going on for a while. The light dances about over the whole field of view in a random fashion only when viewing really bright objects, the targets are always very sharp and well defined, stars pinpoint, nothing blurred (thats the TAL 100RS for you) Often it takes a feww seconds for the light dance to begin with and appears to get worse fro a few seconds before appearring and reappearing (a bit like aurora)

Sounds to me like an eye phenomena? Ghost images can be caused by lens problems in the EP(s) or reflections off your eye. Because the high power EPs seem to be only effected, I'd guess the shorter eye relief of these may be causing eye reflections?

Have you tried twisting up (or down) the eye cups and using the eyepieces with them in a different position. I think the BST Explorers have twist up eye cups :)

Does the problem get better or worse when the bright object is central, off centre, on the edge or just out of, the field of view ?

Just some things to try.

I'm certain it is the light bouncing back off your eyeball... :-) It drives me mad.

I would say its this.

I get it all the time when viewing bright objects.

Eye placement is usually key to alleviating it.

Also try cupping your hand around the eyepiece just in case it is extraneous light from a nearby street light or house.

Archived