Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQDirect Cable query

Vega

I've started using an EQDirect cable on my laptop and it works fine for a good hour and then suddenly I get Blue screens of death :\. When working, all functions work properly on EQASCOM including gamepad control. Also tested this today with all other USB devices taken out and a shorter USB cable (2m).. the same thing happens, blue screen, memory dump and reboot. ://

The only thing I have noticed is one of the pins is slightly shorter than the other (see image). Can anyone else confirm if this is the norm for EQDdirect cables?

Its registered on com port 4 as a Prolific USB to Serial device with no port conflicts that I can see. Anyone else have any ideas? Or have I just been sold a duff cable.

As a side note... last night I unplugged it and connected the synscan to the mount instead and used the laptop just for camera control. It worked flawlessly all night so its definately an EQDirect problem.

Matt

post-13313-133877734095_thumb.jpg

The pin pushed back is Pin #1 = DCD (Data carrier detect) . If you unscrew the backshell of the connector you will see the pin pushed back in the housing, it should be possible to push it forward again and a dab of aradite will stop it moving again.

On the other hand if the lead is new send it back and get a new one.

I think that EQDirect only use pins 2,3 & 5 ? BUT a pin making an intermittent contact is never a good thing

EDIT I was wrong http://eq-mod.sourceforge.net/eqdirect2.htm EQDirect has 12v on pins 1 & 8

I'm confused as the EQ3 pro has the normal CAT5 type connection rather than 9 pin serial which is normally found on the EQ6 mount. Also you have an A and B USB cable there - how are you connecting the device to the PC.

EDIT I was wrong EQDIRECT EQDirect has 12v on pins 1 & 8

That is just to supply power to the magic chip inside the old fashioned box (via a 12V to 5V converter).

The all-in-one USB cables available these days exclude the 12V, presumably getting the 5V required for the magic chip from the USB side of the cable.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/170218-usb-eqdir-under-4-a.html

Thanks all

The pin pushed back is Pin #1 = DCD (Data carrier detect) . If you unscrew the backshell of the connector you will see the pin pushed back in the housing, it should be possible to push it forward again and a dab of aradite will stop it moving again.

On the other hand if the lead is new send it back and get a new one.

I think that EQDirect only use pins 2,3 & 5 ? BUT a pin making an intermittent contact is never a good thing

EDIT I was wrong EQDIRECT EQDirect has 12v on pins 1 & 8

Cheers for that. Its not new, got it on astro buy sell for £30. I'm guessing this is why he sold it! The pin 1 problem would proabably cause a blue screen if it provides 12v. Will have a tinker

Matt

Fixed the pin (there's no wires connected to it anyway) but still the same problem. My blue screen of death came after a full hour with no problems. So strange. I guess this is fine for observing, I can just reboot the laptop and connect again. However for imaging, the blue screen of death would screw up PHD when guiding. Need to find out if its simply a Vista thing, Com port problem or just the cable's dodgy...Hey ho

• 1 year later...

I'm confused as the EQ3 pro has the normal CAT5 type connection rather than 9 pin serial which is normally found on the EQ6 mount. Also you have an A and B USB cable there - how are you connecting the device to the PC.

So what type of Eqdirect cable is used in this case?

So what type of Eqdirect cable is used in this case?

The EQDIREC cables (as far as the DIY ones go and I have no doubt the commercial ones are the same) are simply a serial to USB cable.  The interfaces on most of the skywatcher scopes that have goto options use the same connection as a CAT 5 network cable, the exception is the EQ6 (and NEQ6 I believe) mounts that use a DB9 connector.  Some USB converters are based on the prolific chipset which has been known to be problematical, which is why it's recommended to use FTDI chipset based converters.  These are know as TTL -USB as they provide serial logic at 5 volts, which is ideal for the goto motor control boards.  However it is possible to get converters that run at 3.3v logic and these have been know to have issues with the motor boards.

So basically an EQDIRECT cable is simply a USB to 5v TTL serial converter with the TX, RX, and GND of the serial side terminated with either a DB9 male connector or a RJ45 plug.  The USB converters use standard USB type A plugs to match the standard USB sockets fitted to computers, not the type B which are square and often found on printers - hence my question in my post of Feb 2012 !!

Archived