T mounts advice

I am looking at getting a T-mount and T-ring to attatch my Canon to my telescope.

First of all, is it advisable to get an adjustable one?? Also, I have seen a mount on Ebay that attaches to the filter thread on my camera lens, then to my telescope. Just wondering if anybody has had any experience in using this type of adapter curious as to wether the are any good?

Obviously, i have VERY limited knowledge as this is a VERY new hobby to me and i am just starting up so any advice anyone can give would be very well received and greatly appreciated.

Finally, does anyone know the cheapest/best place to get recommended item?

Thanks everyone

Alan

I wouldn't want to hang a DSLR body and lens off of the lens filter thread, it is asking for trouble as the filter thread was never designed for that use.

A T2 mount and 1.25" or 2" nose piece will let you attach the camera to the scope.

First Light Optics - T Rings

First Light Optics - FLO 2-inch T mount camera adapter

You attach the T-ring to the Camera, then the Adapter Ring this then attaches to the focusor nothing else goes in between, you use the focusor to focus your camera, i normally focus through the camera viewer, get it as close as i can, then take a photo, check that on the rear view screen and adjust as necessary, i have tried a Banatov Mask but most of the DSO's i look at are a bit dim so its not really any good, bright stuff its fine.

The minumum you will need for your telescope (Konus 130?, helps if you state what the telescope is) will be a t ring First Light Optics - T Rings and a 1.25" adaptor First Light Optics - FLO 1.25-inch T mount camera adapter (again assuming the camera is a DSLR). The body is attached to the t ring and adaptor and placed in the focuser draw tube. Some newtonian designs have problems with focusing a camera because there is insufficient inwards focuser travel when using a camera at prime focus. If you find that you cannot get the camera close enough to the point of focus you may need to you a barlow lens aswell.

Peter

I have a feeling you may be confusing prime focus and eyepiece photography.

The first is when you connect your dslr directly to your scope using a T ring adaptor which in effect makes the scope a lens. Nice and easy.

The second is when you are taking a photo of what appers in the eyepiece of your scope. This is called A-focal phtography and uses a T ring adaptor to connect to an adjustable eyepiece holder, containing the eyepiece of your choice, which then connects to your scope in the normal way. (Similar to a Barlow Lens). You might also need a camera mount fixed to the scope to support the weight of your camera.

What Scope do you have?

These are Lens that have a built in thread so a DSLR will connect straight to the eye piece, i would suggest if this method is used a Coma Corrector be employed to keep the stars at the edges of the frame sharp and round...this is the 24mm lens, no Coma Corrector.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-68-degree-eyepiece.html

post-29949-133877734175_thumb.jpg

Hi

I have the Konusmotor 130 and a canon 350D dslr. I am aware that there are several ways of conducting astrophotography, however i think you are right about being a little confused.

Being honest, Whilst i get used to it all and begin to learn and experience more, im pretty much looking for the cheapest option really that will produce acceptable results. I have found the mount and adapter you referred to on ebay (fraction of cost)

I am just so eager to get cracking i am probably a little guilty of getting ahead of myself but its the 1st time ive ever felt this excited about a hobby so feet first i think lol

Archived