Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hyperion-Aspheric 36mm

Tinker1947

So i ordered one and it arrived, attached to my 250P DS via a 2" extender, this enable focusing on a distant tree nearly fully extended, so its sundown and there Venus focused and in the centre of the EP View what appears to be a faint smudge, this had been mentioned in other threads so not a shock, a short while and Jupiter appears slew and focus, its a little bit darker and the smudge has faded (smiles, phew) nice sharp view just a tad on the small side but can make out the bands and the moons so time for a cuppa tea and some grub until its dark. Orion is in a good position so M43 slewed to, nice and clear nebula sharp stars right to the outside on the EP please with this view, Moved up a bit to Alnilam the centre star in the belt nice pin sharp stars, moved up to M78 via the Telrad on Stellarium, slewed and there it is a smudge on the edge on the view, move over to M51, via the Telrad and Stellarium again it there 2 little smudges close to the edge of the view, centred and change to the pentax 8.5mm the smudges turn into cats eyes, well please with the 36mm will be keeping it and the newly found Telrad/Stellarium (window mode) setup. So its really boarder line but i very happy finding DSO is going to be so much more fun. I will take some images with the camera attached but it requires slightly more than a 2" extender to gain focus, i have ordered a 80mm extender hope it will arrive this week.

I know people might disagree, but Astronomy is far more fun, and you learn a lot more, in my opinion, with systems like GOTO mounts/control via Stellarium.

I don't want to be standing around in the cold trying to find things... I want to be viewing them!

I know people might disagree, but Astronomy is far more fun, and you learn a lot more, in my opinion, with systems like GOTO mounts/control via Stellarium.

I don't want to be standing around in the cold trying to find things... I want to be viewing them!

I use the Telrad and Stellarium to find the DSO's never used the GoTo on this mount, last nights 2 took all of 5 minutes to find both, which made me very happy...:)

I use the Telrad and Stellarium to find the DSO's never used the GoTo on this mount, last nights 2 took all of 5 minutes to find both, which made me very happy...:(

That's a good point - if you make the effort I reckon the non-GOTO approach is faster than waiting for the GOTO plus the get the satisfaction of the "find" :)

I'm very tempted by an Aspheric, though mainly for DSOs like M31 and M45 :(

The Veil Nebula is another that really benefits from a low power, wide angle view. You will need a 2" UHC or O-III filter as well but, for me, it's one of the most spectacular deep sky objects on a dark late spring / summer night :)

It's far more fun for you that way, not necessarily for others. It all depends on what is fun for you, which is by no definition the same for everyone. Someone just wants to look at targets without the hassle of finding them. Others like the "hunt", the feeling when something is found; the satisfaction you get from looking up when outside and knowing how to identify the constellations above, and what wonders hide among them.

Nobody is wrong here - you need to do whatever makes you happy, not others. It's a hobby, after all. Me, I use my Telrad to find the faint fuzzies and have so far never had much of a problem finding anything. I also like the simple approach, with everything manual so I don't need to worry about power in the field, and stuff like that. But like I said, whatever rocks your boat. The absolutist exclamations that this approach is better than that one are silly.

It's far more fun for you that way, not necessarily for others. It all depends on what is fun for you, which is by no definition the same for everyone. Someone just wants to look at targets without the hassle of finding them. Others like the "hunt", the feeling when something is found; the satisfaction you get from looking up when outside and knowing how to identify the constellations above, and what wonders hide among them.

Nobody is wrong here - you need to do whatever makes you happy, not others. It's a hobby, after all. Me, I use my Telrad to find the faint fuzzies and have so far never had much of a problem finding anything. I also like the simple approach, with everything manual so I don't need to worry about power in the field, and stuff like that. But like I said, whatever rocks your boat. The absolutist exclamations that this approach is better than that one are silly.

Which is my post says "I know people might disagree," and "in my opinion".

I spent a couple of hours with a 31mm aspheric lastnight. It is now on my "MUST HAVE IT NAO!" list. Amazing eyepiece, especially for the price.

Agreed... I have a 31mm aspheric, a brilliant EP certainly out performs it's retail price, you have to spend some serious money to better it.

If you are thinking of a Hyperion Aspheric it's worth also considering the Skywatcher Aero ED as well which is around the same price and preforms very similarly.

This would have been on my list of what to buy, but i read in theses forums there not in stock and not due until April, which is not just round the corner its round the block, so to speak...:)

The Veil Nebula is another that really benefits from a low power, wide angle view. You will need a 2" UHC or O-III filter as well but, for me, it's one of the most spectacular deep sky objects on a dark late spring / summer night :)

I would be tempted to try a 36mm Aspheric for this one particular target. I had some lovely views of it last time round with the 8" dob so hoping this time with the 12" it will even better. The one downside is that with the 12" scope and the 26mm Nagler i only get 1.42* of field :(

Archived